Thai Basil Fried Rice. Find Deals on Thai Fried Rice in Groceries on Amazon. This is a great use of leftover rice. It's important to use Thai sweet basil to get the authentic Thai restaurant taste.
This is a staple of Thai cooking. Adjust the spices to your own tastes for a really great use for leftover rice!! Thai basil has a different flavor than that of regular basil and makes all the difference in this recipe. You can cook Thai Basil Fried Rice using 14 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Thai Basil Fried Rice
- You need 2.5 tablespoons of neutral oil.
- You need 3 of gloves garlic chopped.
- Prepare 1 inch of ginger chopped.
- It’s 1 of onion chopped.
- You need 2 cups of cooked Nishiki brand short grain white rice (one day old rice is best).
- You need 2 tablespoons of soy sauce.
- You need 1 teaspoon of dark soy sauce.
- You need 1 tablespoon of mirin.
- You need 2 teaspoon of fish sauce.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of rice wine vinegar.
- You need 3 of eggs beaten.
- Prepare 1 cup of frozen peas.
- You need 1 cup of Thai basil chopped.
- Prepare 3 of scallions.
It is fast and fairly easy to make, but requires constant stirring. So my Thai basil fried rice had to be with shrimp, but you can use any protein you prefer, it will all work! Pound garlic and thai cili together in a mortar and pestle. This way the natural oil form chili and garlic will be release and will make the fried rice more fragrance.
Thai Basil Fried Rice instructions
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in large pan or wok over medium high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, and ginger and sauté until translucent.
- Turn heat to high and add rice.
- Add soy sauces, 1 teaspoon fish sauce, mirin, and vinegar and stir until combined.
- Spread rice along bottom of pan and do not stir for at least 1.5 min. Once rice on bottom is crispy, stir in peas and Thai basil.
- Remove rice from pan once the peas are fully defrosted and the Thai basil wilts.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil to pan. Add beaten eggs and remaining teaspoon of fish sauce. Continuously stir until eggs are cooked.
- Combine eggs with rice and top with scallions. Enjoy!.
The Thai basil fried rice dishes that I sampled also had many more vegetables than holy basil fried rice generally does and were never served with an egg, which is an integral component of holy basil fried rice. The resulting Thai basil fried rice is very distinct from holy basil fried rice in its taste and appearance, but is nonetheless delicious. Fried rice originated in China as a way to use up leftover cooked rice. Wherever fried rice is prepared in Asia, local cooks add regional ingredients and seasonings. This means Thai cooks mix in garlic, chili and basil with delicious results.