Whole Wheat Carrot Cake. This healthy carrot cake recipe is incredibly moist and nobody will believe it's whole wheat! Recipe includes a less sugary cream cheese frosting. Can also be made with all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour.
It's made without refined flour or sugar, but the taste and texture are sublime: it's not heavy at all. How to make carrot cake from scratch. This cake is quick and easy to make, versatile and utterly delicious. You can cook Whole Wheat Carrot Cake using 14 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Whole Wheat Carrot Cake
- You need 1/2 cup of apple sauce.
- You need 1/3 cup of maple syrup.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of grated carrots.
- It’s 2 of eggs beaten.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of vanilla.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- You need 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of ginger.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour.
- It’s 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds.
- You need 1/2 cup of dried apricots chopped.
It wasn't until recently that we realized I like using all-purpose flour, but you can substitute some of the all-purpose flour for whole wheat or white whole wheat flour. This moist cake is a keeper and the kids will rave about it. Whole wheat flour (spelt flour): It is crucial you use one these flours. White flour or any gluten free flour acts differently.
Whole Wheat Carrot Cake step by step
- Preheat oven to 350F..
- Mix apple sauce and maple syrup in a medium bowl. Then add eggs, vanilla and carrots..
- Mix in salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger..
- Add baking soda and baking powder. It is important to add these ingredients separate from the rest but just before the flour as they will give your batter some air bubbles..
- Add the flour. Once it is completely mixed in, add the apricots and sunflower seeds..
- Pour the batter into a greased tin and bake for 1 hour..
Easy healthy carrot cake recipe starts with baking, frosting and serving it all in the same pan. Cake is so moist, you don't need the frosting between the layers. Carrot Cake Bread Ingredients: Whole wheat flour: Using whole wheat will not only add more nutrition, but also a great nutty flavor to these cupcakes. Carrot cake is one of my favorite things in the whole world. This healthier version is a perfect excuse to make this recipe.