Quick veggie and barley soup. Loaded with colorful vegetables and filling pearled barley, this Vegetable Barley Soup is a healthy, freezer-friendly staple recipe for winter! Some people find that potatoes change in texture slightly when frozen and thawed, but it's not. This Barley Vegetable Soup recipe easy to make, veggie-packed, and super healthy.
This garden veggie barley soup is loaded with a mix of fresh and frozen veggies and barley. I love that it's so customizable because you can add whatever fresh veggies you might Super healthy, quick, veggie-loaded and delicious is how I would describe this garden vegetable barley soup recipe. Warm up with a bowl of this hearty Beef Barley Vegetable Soup. You can cook Quick veggie and barley soup using 12 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Quick veggie and barley soup
- You need 1 cup of or so chopped celery.
- You need 1 cup of or so chopped onion.
- You need 1 cup of or so chopped carrots.
- You need 1 cube of stock (I used Kallo garlic and herb).
- Prepare 1/2 liter of water.
- It’s 1 tbs of tomato paste.
- Prepare 3 tbs of chopped fresh dill.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dried celery seeds.
- It’s 1/4-1/3 cup of Job's tears or barley (I used Job's tears).
- You need 1 tbs of or so olive oil.
- Prepare of Corn starch slurry (1 tbs each corn starch and water).
- It’s of To taste, salt and pepper.
Full of veggies and heart-healthy whole grains and low in sodium, this tasty version of a. I make three soups, including comforting Beef Barley Soup," writes Louise Laplante of Hanmer, Ontario. "It's loaded with chunks of beef and chopped Really, really good. Only thing I did different was I couldn't find quick-cooking barley, so I used regular. Add barley and bay leaf during the last hour of cooking.
Quick veggie and barley soup instructions
- Rinse off barley or Job's tears, then put in a sauce pan and cover with water by a few inches. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 45 minutes or so (I cook the grain separately so it doesn't absorb all the liquid in the soup)..
- In a bowl, dissolve the stock cube in the 1/2 liter of water and set aside..
- In large sauce pan, saute the celery, onion, and carrots in the olive oil over medium heat..
- When the veggie mix is softened, add in the stock, tomato paste, and celery seeds. Bring to a boil, and then let simmer..
- After ten minutes, add the dill and the corn starch slurry. Stir to make sure the slurry is thoroughly mixed..
- Let the soup simmer another ten minutes or so until it achieves desired consistency (mine was thickened just a bit – runny but not watery)..
- Remove from heat and season to taste..
- When barley/Job's tears are done (should be mostly soft, maybe a little al dente), strain to eliminate excess water and then add to the soup. Reheat if necessary and serve..
Remove meat, and chop into bite-size pieces. Also, almost all the frozen mixed veggies in the store have carrots already in them–obviously you don't need to add fresh carrots if. Our vegetarian and vegan recipe for a hearty homemade bean, barley, and vegetable soup is both healthy and filling. A meal in itself, you can add just about any veggies you want. If you're used to a more traditional beef and barley soup, go ahead and try this lower-fat and cholesterol-free version of.