Black Beans and Rice. Black beans, cayenne and cumin are added to the pot, given a stir This recipe was VERY disappointing! I ended up adding an extra cup of broth because the rice wasn't finished cooking yet. Black beans and rice is such a classic combination, especially in Caribbean or Southern cooking.
Delicious and so easy to make, it should be part of your weekly rotation. Black Beans and Rice is the perfect family side dish. It's fast and affordable, and everyone loves the taste. You can have Black Beans and Rice using 12 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Black Beans and Rice
- Prepare 1 pound of dried black beans, soaked in water overnight, drain.
- It’s 2 cups of brown rice.
- You need 3 of &1/2 cups water plus salt to taste to cook rice.
- You need 1 of large onion, chopped well.
- You need 4 cloves of garlic, rough chop.
- You need 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- You need 1 teaspoon of chile powder; mild, medium or hot, to your taste.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin.
- You need 2 tablespoons of dried oregano.
- Prepare of salt and pepper.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of chopped tomatos.
- Prepare of Optional ×* Serve with fresh chopped cilantro.
A black bean and rice dish is more than satisfying, too—it's packed with protein for a healthy meal. Black beans and rice is a common dish all over the Caribbean. Canned black beans will work if you're short on time but I highly suggest dried black beans for added texture, flavor and fewer additives. We show you how to cook black beans and rice.
Black Beans and Rice step by step
- Cook beans in water for 45 minutes or until soft. (You will save 1 cup of cooked bean water). Cook rice at the same time, rice will take closer to an hour to cook over low heat. While beans and rice are cooking, prep veggies and measure out spices in a small bowl..
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and add onion, cook for 3 minutes then add garlic, gently cook 2 more minutes. Add spices. Add cooked beans and reserved bean water and tomatoes. Mix. Simmer for 2o minutes..
- Serve on top of hot cooked rice..
For loads more lip-smacking recipes head over to http Simple And Easy Caribbean Black Beans And Rice Recipe #VegandEatz Rice and black beans cook together in this flavorful dish, which gives the rice it's black color. In addition it's cooked with peppers, onions, garlic, cumin White rice is typically used in this dish, I've never had it with brown rice but I'm sure it would be delicious for those of you who prefer brown – you. Served over brown rice, it makes a healthy, stick-to-the-ribs dinner. —Sheila Meyer, North Canton, Ohio. A little different than traditional black beans and brown rice.