Scallion pancakes. Read Customer Reviews & Find Best Sellers. Scallion pancakes might be one of our favorite appetizers ever. Crispy, flaky, and with the *slightest* bit of chew, it's easy to polish off a whole plate of them in minutes.
You can make them at home, but the traditional recipe usually requires kneading. Chinese scallion pancake (Cong You Bing, 葱油饼) is not like any other pancake familiar to most of the people. It has a crusty and crispy surface, with scallions sandwiched between layers of pastry inside. You can have Scallion pancakes using 6 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Scallion pancakes
- You need 3 cups of all-purpose flour.
- You need 3 tablespoons of lard (also could use olive oil or sesame oil).
- You need of at least 8 green onions (chopped).
- You need 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 1 cup of hot water.
- It’s 1/2 cup of cold water.
It is a refreshing, delightful, and easy to make flatbread. Chinese scallion pancakes are healthy, vegan, crispy and delicious! These pancakes are a type of savory flatbread made from dough, as opposed to western pancakes with a batter. They are called cong you bing or 蔥油餅.
Scallion pancakes step by step
- Put the flour into a bowl and add the cup of hot water. use spoon or chopsticks to mixture. (hot water is for making the dough soft).
- Add half a cup of cold water and Mix until the dough has cooled down, and then put the dough in the bowl and cover it with plastic wrap and let rest for 20 to 30 minutes..
- Divide the dough into 3 even pieces and shape each piece into a ball..
- Place the dough on a greased work surface and try to roll out it like a round cake, and then spread lard or other oil all over the dough and sprinkle the salt on it, and then sprinkle the green onions on the dough..
- Roll up the dough to a long strip of the cylinder..
- Roll the long strip of the cylinder of dough again to round..
- Flatten the dough with a press of the hand and then using the rolling pin to roll out an about half inch thick disc..
- Put a little oil in the pan, and fry each dough with medium heat until they are lightly brown and crispy on each side..
- Cut the flaky scallion pancakes, (the way like the pizza), and serve as they are or with a thick and sweet garlic of soy sauce..
You can find this delicacy as a popular street food in China and Taiwan. Unlike true pancakes, "Cong You Bing" (or Chinese scallion pancakes) are made from a dough instead of a batter. The tasty appetizers are the perfect "sponge" for mopping up extra sauce and can be made ahead of time for convenience. Thinner scallion pancakes mean crispier scallion pancakes. If you like chewy or thick scallion pancakes, you can roll them out less and therefore make them thicker.