Caper-Walnut Quinoa with Sautéed Swiss Chard, Chickpeas and Scallions. Gently fold flaked salmon and chard into the cooked quinoa. I added a little diced tomato I had left over and sautéed the stems of the chard and added it all together. Try this simple sautéed Swiss chard recipe.
Even more reasons to eat chard! Short ribs in black sauce, with sautéed quinoa with Swiss chard. Near Cusco, in Peru, I once tasted boiled quinoa flavored with the sautéed leaves of the quinoa plant. You can cook Caper-Walnut Quinoa with Sautéed Swiss Chard, Chickpeas and Scallions using 14 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Caper-Walnut Quinoa with Sautéed Swiss Chard, Chickpeas and Scallions
- You need of Caper-Walnut Quinoa.
- Prepare 1 1/4 cup of water.
- It’s 1 cup of quinoa.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of walnut pieces.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- It’s 2 tbsp of capers.
- Prepare 2 tsp of caper liquid.
- It’s 1 of Kosher salt, to taste.
- You need 1 of Black pepper, to taste.
- You need of Swiss Chard, Chickpeas and Scallions.
- You need 2 tbsp of olive oil, divided.
- You need 4 of scallions, roots removed, whites and greens separated, chopped.
- It’s 6 of leaves of swiss chard, leaves and stalks separated, both cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of chickpeas, cooked.
For centuries, highland people in Peru and Bolivia have used quinoa leaves (lliccha) as a vegetable. Eat this healthy green for dinner tonight. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add oil, then chard stems and salt.
Caper-Walnut Quinoa with Sautéed Swiss Chard, Chickpeas and Scallions instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degress F. Heat a small-medium saucepot over low heat. Add quinoa and toast for 4-5 minutes while stirring. Add 1 1/4 cups of water to pot. Bring water to a boil, cover, and lower heat to medium-low. Simmer until quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid. Leave covered, remove from heat, and set aside..
- Scatter walnuts on a large cookie sheet or baking pan. Toast in oven for 6-8 minutes or until fragrant. Remove from oven, and reserve..
- Once the quinoa has cooled for 6-8 minutes, stir in the butter, capers, walnuts, salt and pepper..
- Place a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add half of the olive oil, then add the white part of the scallions. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Add chard greens and stems and chickpeas, and cook for another 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste..
- Divide the quinoa on two plates. Top with the chard-chickpea mixture. Drizzle the remaining olive oil, caper liquid and scallion greens around the plate and on the quinoa, chard, and chickpeas. Enjoy!.
Cook until stems are almost tender. But my daring pairing skills took over and I finally decided Garlicky Swiss Chard with Chickpeas would be the perfect mate to the Cheese Ravioli. You can always sub out kale or spinach for the swiss chard, parmesan or goat cheese for the feta cheese and regular onion for the shallot (which I had to. The humble chickpea is enormously popular in Italy, especially for soups. Here, in this Tuscan specialty, it's joined by tomatoes, macaroni, Swiss-cha.