Smothered potatoes with green onions. In the past I've shared a recipe for regular smothered potatoes, but somehow that recipe disappeared (I'm still trying to figure out how!). No worries though, because this smothered potato recipe is even better than the first one! These potatoes are fried, and smothered with onions and smoked sausage.
I grew up eating Smothered Potatoes as a side to roasted chicken, pork chops, catfish or with eggs for breakfast. Made by simply cooking chopped onions, green peppers and potatoes in a mixture of vegetable oil and butter, this dish couldn't be any easier to make. Season potatoes with salt and pepper to taste. You can cook Smothered potatoes with green onions using 4 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Smothered potatoes with green onions
- Prepare 10 large of potatoes (russet/red).
- Prepare 5 medium of green onions chopped.
- Prepare 5 tbsp of of oil.
- It’s 1 of seasoning salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
Place flour in a shallow dish or bowl; coat potatoes with flour. Add onion to potato/flour mixture and set aside. The best potatoes to use for smothered potatoes are white, red, russets or Yukon gold. You will need very simple ingredients to make this humble potato side.
Smothered potatoes with green onions step by step
- add oil to pot/skilet and let get hot.
- slice potatoes in rings (with/without skin).
- add potatoes to oil season and let cook until browned on bottom (i like them a little crispy).
- turn potatoes and continue to cook.
- at this time your going to add green onions, turn potatoes down to med low add 2 tbsp of water and cover, let them cook until soft.
- once they are soft they are done, the key to smothering potatoes is the steam, the steam continues the cooking process.
- HOPE U GUYS ENJOY!! ;).
Potatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. You can also add dried or fresh herbs if you like, but that's optional. Variation: Brown chopped andouille or smoked sausage and chopped green bell pepper in the oil before adding the potatoes. Add the milk and proceed as above. Baked stuffed potatoes; Stuffed Baked Potatoes when potatoes are done add salt to taste; potatoes are done when very tender; during the cooking process, you can turn the heat up or down if needed; your potatoes should look like my picture; when done can top with diced green onions or you can cook with green onions.