Bò lá lốt (Meat wrapped in betel leaf). Thịt cuốn lá lốt Welcome to my channel: Bepbe Miniature Cooking. Lay your betel leaf flat on a plate with the matte side up. Make sure you place the meat closer to the pointy side of the leaf.
The basis is beef (thịt bò), variations of spices, fish sauce (nước mấm) and wrapped in betel leaf (lá lốt) which is then grilled (nướng). Eating good food is key to cooking good food, so I have been looking for the right flavor profile. Kitchen research revealed I love the bò lá lốt with lemongrass. You can have Bò lá lốt (Meat wrapped in betel leaf) using 19 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Bò lá lốt (Meat wrapped in betel leaf)
- It’s of Meats.
- You need 500 g of ground beef.
- It’s 100 g of ground pork (fatty is OK).
- It’s of Optional: Substitute with 600g ground meat substitute, like Beyond Beef.
- Prepare of Seasonings.
- You need 1 of shallot, minced.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of lemongrass, minced and pounded.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of minced garlic.
- It’s 3 tbsp of crushed roasted peanuts.
- Prepare 4 tsp of soy sauce (Maggi seasoning) or 1 tbsp fish sauce.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of five spice powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of sugar.
- Prepare 1 tsp of mushroom powder (chicken bouillon could work).
- It’s of Optional: 1/2 tbsp Vietnamese spiced liquor (rượu mai quế lộ).
- Prepare of Garnish.
- You need of Crushed roasted peanuts.
- It’s of Scallions sautéed in a bit of oil (or nuked in the microwave).
- It’s of Mixed fish sauce or vegan substitute.
Place a betel leaf on a clean surface with the shiny side facing down. Fold in the sides and roll towards the stem. To assemble the rolls, place the betel leaves, shiny side-down on a work surface. Working one at a time, place a small spoonful of the meat mixture on the betel leaf and roll up to enclose the.
Bò lá lốt (Meat wrapped in betel leaf) step by step
- Mix your meat with seasonings thoroughly, and then roll approximately 3-4 teaspoons of the mixture in each betel leaf..
- In a preheated air-fryer, cook in small batches at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 minutes or until meat mixture is cooked. Be sure to coat the leaves in a thin layer of oil, if you did not roll them tightly enough. Five minute usually works for vegan mixtures..
- In an oven preheated to 375, baking them on a rack (or skewered on a stick), you may need 10 minutes..
- On a pan on medium heat with a bit of vegetable or canola oil, you can pan fry them to completion as well. The picture of the end-result has half of the rolls pan-fried, and the other half in an air-fryer..
Bo la lot is usually served alongside with dipping sauce, typically nuoc mam cham but we've even seen mam nem, or peanut sauce used. Meanwhile, pick the individual betel leaves and wash in. Betel is widely used in Thailand as a simple wrapper in formiang kham, and as part of the age-old natural stimulant Chien Mahk. In Vietnam, betel leaf is cooked (often over charcoal) which brings out more flavor. We love cooking beef and pork inside the betel leaf, a recipe called "Bo La Lop" which we learned from a local Vietnamese family.