Chinese BBQ Ground Beef & Rice. The traditional approach to making the Cantonese ground beef rice bowl is to marinate the beef in the sauce and cornstarch, then cook it in a wok. The marinating process is intended to eliminate the gamey taste of the beef, impart some flavor, and tenderize. Season the beef all over with the Chinese five-spice powder, salt and pepper.
Paired with water chestnuts and fresh ingredients like cilantro and green onions, this party starter has such great flavor, it may steal the spotlight. Korean BBQ beef is one of our favorite dishes to prepare at home, but when we want an easier, quicker, and cheaper alternative, Korean ground beef is the way to go. Made with ground beef and a simple four-ingredient sauce, it delivers the sweet and savory flavors we love in half the cost and half the time. You can cook Chinese BBQ Ground Beef & Rice using 21 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chinese BBQ Ground Beef & Rice
- Prepare 1 inch of long piece fresh ginger finely grated.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar.
- Prepare 1 lb of ground beef.
- It’s 1 of celery stock finely chopped.
- It’s 1 of small carrot finely chopped.
- You need 1/4 of large sweet onion finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic finely chopped.
- You need 2 tbsp of oil.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes.
- It’s 1 tsp of liquid aminos.
- You need 1/4 tsp of ground turmeric.
- You need 1 tbsp of sesame seeds.
- Prepare of Sauce.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Chinese style bbq sauce (see my recipe).
- You need 1 tbsp of sriracha.
- It’s 1 tsp of stir fry sauce.
- It’s 1 tsp of granulated garlic.
- Prepare of Rice.
- Prepare 2 cups of white rice.
- It’s 1 tbsp of stir fry sauce.
- Prepare 1/4 of ground turmeric.
Char siu literally means fork burn/roast-'Char' being fork (both noun and verb) and siu being burn/roast-after the traditional cooking method for the dish: long strips of seasoned boneless pork are skewered with long forks and placed in a covered oven or over a fire. The ground beef takes only minutes to brown but you still get that delicious Korean flavor in this meal. The brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and ginger combination is the best. It helps take the flavor to next level with the simple kitchen ingredients.
Chinese BBQ Ground Beef & Rice instructions
- In a large skillet on medium low heat without oil lightly toast the sesame seeds then set aside..
- In large skillet add the oil, celery, carrot, onion, garlic, ginger, pepper flakes, turmeric, vinegar and liquid aminos..
- Once the veggies are soft add the ground beef. Cook until done and browned a bit..
- Add all the sauce ingredients and simmer until thickened..
- Add rice ingredients to rice cooker and follow directions for your model..
- Once rice is done and sitting on the warm setting add any vegetables you would want like broccoli, bamboo shoots or whatever you have on hand..
- Spoon some rice into a bowl cover with the beef and top with the toasted sesame and any other garnish of your choice like scallions or shredded cabbage and carrots..
This is a great dish if you are looking for a tasty Chinese style BBQ! My go-to recipe for Chinese BBQ! Thanks for another hit, Chef John. I normally use chuck roast for barbecue beef, but I loved switching up the recipe by using ground beef. For the vinegar, I used apple cider vinegar.