Cabbage and ground beef. Combine cabbage, tomatoes with juice, onion, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper in a large pot over low heat. Bring cabbage mixture to a simmer and crumble ground beef into the pot. This easy dinner recipe is budget friendly, and kids love it, too!
The flavors are reminiscent of cabbage rolls, but the casserole is much quicker and easier to throw together. Topped with cheddar cheese, it's a naturally gluten-free and grain-free dish. Brown the ground beef in the skillet until no longer pink. You can cook Cabbage and ground beef using 6 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cabbage and ground beef
- You need 1 1/2 lb of ground beef or meat of your choice.
- Prepare 1 medium of head of cabbage.
- You need 1 large of onion, chopped.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1/3 tsp of salt more or less to your taste.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of ground black pepper.
Add the cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and season with salt and pepper to taste. A great tasting versatile soup that lets the cabbage be the star. I used black angus ground round and low sodium beef broth instead of the water and beef bouillon granules with petite diced tomatoes. Added onion powder when seasoning and a couple of teaspoons of tomato paste since I like a richer tasting broth.
Cabbage and ground beef instructions
- In a pan add ground meat, onion, cabbage, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover stirring occasionally..
- Simmer cover stirring occasionally for 20 minutes till cabbage is tender.
- Keep covered remove from heat. Let rest 5 minutes serve! Hope you enjoy!.
Honestly, I think pork or even ground turkey would work just as well or better, and will most likely be less expensive than beef. The meat isn't cooked ahead of time, so try to use very lean ground beef to avoid the excess fat. If you like cabbage rolls, but don't like the prep work, try this easy unstuffed cabbage rolls recipe. See great recipes for Stewed Tomatoes, Cabbage & Ground Beef too! This cabbage and ground beef casserole is satisfying for the whole family.