Lauren's Pinto Beans and Ham. Great recipe for Lauren's Pinto Beans and Ham. This bean recipe with ham is a true Southern comfort food. It's bursting with flavor galore of smoked paprika, cumin and cayenne pepper.
It's bursting with flavor galore of smoked paprika, cumin and cayenne pepper. Pick through beans and discard any broken beans and debris. Transfer to a large, heavy-bottomed pot. You can have Lauren's Pinto Beans and Ham using 19 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Lauren's Pinto Beans and Ham
- It’s 2 pounds of pinto beans.
- It’s 6 of ham slices (I use already cooked).
- You need 4 cups of water.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Mustard (secret ingredient).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of worsteshire sauce.
- You need 2 tbsp of beef soup base.
- It’s 1 of medium yellow onion.
- It’s 5 of garlic cloves (minced).
- It’s of Spices.
- It’s 1 tsp of ground mustard.
- You need 1 tsp of oregano.
- You need 1 tbsp of onion powder.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of garlic powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of ground cumin.
- It’s 1 tsp of thyme.
- You need 1 tsp of ground turmeric.
- You need 1 tbsp of smoked paprika.
- It’s 1/8 tsp of ground cayenne pepper.
- It’s to taste of Salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Dried pinto beans are soaked then simmered with meaty ham hocks and flavors galore reaching tender thick perfection! This is truly the best country meal, just like Black Eyed Peas, you will ever have! Instead of diced ham, cook the peas with a large meaty ham hock or two small ham hocks.
Lauren's Pinto Beans and Ham instructions
- Soak beans for 10 mins..
- Add the water, soup base, onion garlic, mustard and all the seasonings..
- Boil for 30 minutes then turn heat to medium and put a lid on and let simmer for 4 hours or until done or Place in a crock pot on high for 3 hours or until done. Garnish with green onions and a slice of warm cornbread..
Add it near the end of the cooking time. Pinto Beans and Ham is an easy, economical way to make a big pot full of tasty, filling, pinto beans and leftover ham, flavored with onion and garlic! Nothing fancy or glamorous, but this meal is sure inexpensive, FILLING, and delicious! Cover beans with water and soak overnight; drain. Stir a couple of times during cooking, if possible.