Creamy Ham and Potato Soup. Seriously, this delicious recipe is everything I love in a warm soup during the wintertime. It's nice and rich and creamy (using only milk, no heavy cream). It's chock-full of veggies and garlic and lots of golden potatoes.
Pour chicken broth and water over mixture; bring to a Very good. I used chicken bouillon and all milk for the liquid in the soup. Did not have turkey, just used more ham. You can cook Creamy Ham and Potato Soup using 15 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Creamy Ham and Potato Soup
- It’s 1 tbsp. of olive oil.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of chopped ham.
- It’s 3 tbsp. of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 2 of celery stalks, diced.
- You need 2 of medium carrots, peeled and diced.
- It’s 1/2 of yellow onion, diced.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 3 tbsp. of all purpose flour.
- You need 2 cups of unsalted chicken broth.
- Prepare 3 cups of milk.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of salt.
- You need 1/4 tsp. of each pepper, poultry seasoning.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp. of salt free all purpose seasoning.
- Prepare Pinch of nutmeg.
- You need 4 of small (or 2 large) russet potatoes, peeled and diced.
A hearty soup to take the chill off and fill your belly! This Creamy Ham and Potato Soup comes together in about thirty minutes making it the ideal wholesome weeknight meal. It is chock full of ham, potatoes, onions, carrots and celery in a creamy lightly seasoned broth. Anytime of the year is perfect for a good warm bowl of soup.
Creamy Ham and Potato Soup step by step
- Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Once it's hot, add the ham and cook, stirring often, until the ham has browned up a bit. Then remove it to a seperate plate and cover the plate with foil to keep it warm..
- Add the butter to the pot. Once the butter has melted, add the celery, carrots and onion with a big pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes, until the veggies have begun to soften. Then stir in the garlic and cook until it's fragrant, another minute or so. Increase the heat to med-high, then sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir to incorporate it. Cook and stir for 2 minutes..
- Slowly pour in the broth while stirring, then add the milk and all of the seasonings. Let it all come up to a low boil. Once it begins to boil, stir in the potatoes and return the ham to the pot, reduce the heat back down to medium and let it simmer for about 10 or so minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender. Then remove from the heat and serve..
- This soup is also very good with some kielbasa or smoked sausage in place of the ham, pictured below..
Ham and Potato Soup that's thick, creamy and absolutely delicious! The perfect comfort soup that's great on cold, winter day. Add potatoes, celery, onion, ham, carrots and water in a stockpot and bring to a boil. Continue cooking on medium heat until potatoes are tender. This hearty Ham and Potato Soup is made with a ham shank or leftover ham bone and russet potatoes.