Nan's Onion Jam. Great recipe for Nan's Onion Jam. This easy, tasty condiment is very versatile. I love it as the top smear on meatloaf (instead of ketchup).
It's even good cold from the fridge spread with cream cheese on. We all learned to cook young. Drizzle this savory onion jam over a bar of cream cheese for a perfect appetizer with crackers or use as a sandwich spread. You can cook Nan's Onion Jam using 7 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Nan's Onion Jam
- You need 3 of lg. Onions, sliced or diced (white or yellow).
- You need 4 T. of Olive oil.
- It’s 1/2 c. of Dark brown sugar.
- You need 5 T. of Balsamic vinegar.
- You need 1-1/2 T. of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp. of Salt.
- It’s to taste of Pepper,.
We all learned to cook young. Once the paste is a deep dark colour and a jammy consistency, transfer to a jar. This Bacon Onion Jam Recipe is perfect for topping off your pork tenderloin sliders. We Southerners know our jams—blueberry, strawberry, blackberry, fig—if there's a succulent fruit or berry out there, you know we've tried to make it into a jar of sweet, sticky jam.
Nan's Onion Jam instructions
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook onions in olive oil, uncovered, stirring occasionally. The more caramelized brown you get them, the better the flavor will be. This will take 45-60 minutes..
- I was in a hurry, so I didn't really get these onions caramelized, but it'll still be good. Stir in remaining ingredients..
- Continue cooking, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 35-45 minutes until the liquid reduces significantly and becomes a syrupy consistency..
- Cool completely and store, covered, in refrigerator..
- NOTE: I'm a balsamic vinegar junkie and buy the expensive premium balsamics at a specialty store. BUT, for onion jam I use regular, grocery store balsamic vinegar. I've also made this substituting red wine vinegar, and it's also very good..
But there's another realm of jam, too. This jam makes a delicious condiment for any meat, and is the stuffing for our Chicken Breasts Filled With Onion Jam. Once a jar is opened, this jam must be refridgerated. That's right – I said caramelized onion jam. Balsamic onion jam recipe delivers a sweet, rich, caramelized goodness with a savory bite.