Strawberry Cake (Le Fraisier). Fraisier derives from the French word fraise, meaning strawberry. Le Fraisier is a classic French cake made with a basic génoise sliced in two halves, each of which is brushed with kirsch liqueur. It is filled with crème mousseline and lots of fresh strawberries.
A decadent French dessert consisting of two layers of almond genoise cake soaked in kirsch liqueur syrup, filled with mousseline cream and fresh strawberries and topped with a flavorful homemade marzipan. The name for this classic comes from fraise (French for strawberry), and celebrates the sweetness of French strawberries. It typically starts with a sponge cake (or Génoise), split in half, doused with simple syrup, filled with cream and almond paste, and garnished with sliced. You can have Strawberry Cake (Le Fraisier) using 13 ingredients and 19 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Strawberry Cake (Le Fraisier)
- You need 6 of egg yolks + 6 eggs.
- Prepare 260 g of sugar.
- Prepare 206 g of flour.
- You need 50 cl of Milk.
- Prepare of Vanilla flavoring.
- You need 600 gr of fresh strawberries.
- It’s 1 of small bag baking powder (12g).
- You need 3/4 of small bag Agar agar.
- It’s 10 cl of water.
- It’s 1 L of low fat single cream.
- You need of Split almonds.
- It’s of Kirsch.
- Prepare of Rum (optional).
A "Fraisier" is a traditional and classic French Dessert made in summer with Fresh Strawberries. Its name simply comes from the French word "Fraises" which means "Strawberries". A similar cake can be made with Raspberries instead, called Framboisier (for the French word "Framboises" meaning "Raspberries"). It is made with layers of delicate Genoise.
Strawberry Cake (Le Fraisier) step by step
- 🔸 Preparation of the custard (you can make it one day before): Separate 6 egg whites from their yolks. You will only use the yolks. You can make some meringues from the eggs whites to not waste it 👍🏼..
- Add 100 g of sugar and mix until it becomes frothy. Add the vanilla (Optional: rum) At the same time, warm slowly 50 cl milk in a pot with the Agar-Agar (I used 3/4 of a small bag, it is not necessary but it helps to obtain a "thick" custard).
- Add 40 g of flour to the egg preparation and mix a bit (no need to incorporate the flour properly)..
- Then, pour out the hot milk while mixing the egg preparation until you have something smooth. Keep on mixing 2 minutes..
- Pour out the preparation in the same pot as the milk and warm it slowly until you can see the first bubble. You have to stir all along of the baking to thicken the custard. Make it cool down into the fridge..
- 🔸 Preparation of the kirsch syrup : in a bowl, mix 30 g sugar with 10 cl water and the kirsch (depending on your personal taste).
- 🔸 Preparation of the cake (I found this cake recipe on Marmiton.org) : you need to use a robot or a electric egg beater. Indeed, it is easier and you have to let it work during the process. Prepare in small bowls all the ingredients: – 166g flour + baking powder (a small bag = 12g) – 130 g sugar.
- Separate 6 egg whites and yolks: -put yolks into a bowl – put egg whites into the bowl of the robot..
- Whisk the egg whites until they are very firm. Pour directly the sugar..
- Slow down the robot and add the yolks and directly after the mix flour+ baking powder. Stop the robot when it is properly mixed..
- Preheat the oven 180°C..
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan. And cook it 30 min. You will have a fluffy sponge cake. Let it cool down..
- 🔸 Whipped cream : put the low fat single cream into a bowl and "whisk" it with the electric egg beater and add some sugar (depending on your personal taste). Stop the machine when you have the result below:.
- 🔸 Strawberries : wash and cut them. You can prepare them before and add a bit of sugar if they are not sweet enough for you..
- 🔸 Tips : for a "fluffy" custard, you can add some of the whipped cream into it (1 or 2 table spoons).
- 🔸 Make the cake : divide the cake in the middle with a long knife. Spray the syrup of kitsch and Spread the custard on the first half..
- Then put on the strawberries. You can add more custard, if the layer is too slim..
- Finally, spray with the syrup of kirsch the second half and cover the first part. Put the whipped cream all around it. Do not be afraid of a thick layer 😝. Decorate with the almond..
- Decorate the cake like you want. TADAAAAA ! For a better result, let it into the fridge at least 2 hours before eating..
Arrange a row of strawberry slices around the dish, then top the cake with the remaining sliced strawberries in an even layer. The bakers were set this Fraisier cake as their technical challenge in the season's semi-final (epic French pâtisserie semi-final by the way, definitely worth a watch if you haven´t seen it). A Fraisier cake, is derived from the French word "fraise," meaning strawberry. It is a classic French cake that is traditionally comprised of a sponge cake, Génoise, cut in half, imbibed liberally with a simple syrup flavored with alcohol, filled with a crème patisserie and topped with almond paste. My own special version was created in conjunction with my appearance on the American.