Fårikål, Norwegian Lamb and Cabbage. Fårikål, or Lamb & Cabbage, is an old, traditional Norwegian dish loved by young and old in Norway. It is often on the menu in the fall when lamb is in season and very inexpensive. Lamb meat is a favorite among many Norwegians, and simmering with cabbage is one of the most popular ways to prepare it.
Probably because of the pepper-corns giving off more taste then. Most arguably, the favorite dish to feature such a wonderful bounty in the autumn is fårikål (lamb and cabbage stew). Farikal is a traditional Norwegian lamb and cabbage soup. You can cook Fårikål, Norwegian Lamb and Cabbage using 8 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Fårikål, Norwegian Lamb and Cabbage
- Prepare 1-1/2 pound of leg of lamb, boneless.
- Prepare 3 teaspoon of black pepper corns.
- You need 2 teaspoons of salt divided.
- It’s 3 pounds of cabbage.
- You need 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour divided.
- It’s 2 cups of water.
- It’s To taste of rosemary optional.
- It’s To taste of garlic optional.
Made of simply lamb, cabbage, peppercorns and flour, this authentic soup is the national dish of Norway. Layer the bottom of a stockpot or dutch oven with lamb pieces, then sprinkle with a little of the salt. Add a layer of cabbage, then another layer of lamb and salt, and so on. A Norwegian specialty that we make once or twice every fall when there is lamb meat to be found.
Fårikål, Norwegian Lamb and Cabbage step by step
- Cut the cabbage into wedges. Cut the lamb into pieces. Add spices if using..
- Layer half the lamb on bottom of pot or Dutch oven. Lightly salt the lamb. Add half the cabbage..
- Sprinkle half the pepper corns and flour on top of the cabbage. Then add rest of lamb. Lightly salt..
- Add the rest of cabbage, pepper corns, flour, and pepper. Add water. Bring to rolling boil for 15 minutes, then turn to a simmer..
- Simmer covered for 1-1/2 to 2 hours covered. I checked on it every 15 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes. Serve I hope you enjoy!!!.
Farikal lamb and cabbage is the best recipe for foodies. If it is the favorite recipe of your favorite restaurants then you can also make farikal lamb and cabbage at your home. The ingredients or substance mixture for farikal lamb and cabbage recipe that are useful to cook such type of recipes are: I love Farikal and our family has been eating it for thirty years. Also as other have suggested, I just sprinkle the peppercorns directly over the cabbage. Arrange a layer of lamb in the bottom of a casserole or soup pot.