Black Beans and Rice. Discover hundreds of ways to save on your favorite products. In a stockpot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. The best black beans and rice recipe I have found.
My rice was a little gummy and I had to add lots more water. Even still it tastes pretty good!. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add the oil. You can have Black Beans and Rice using 12 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Black Beans and Rice
- You need 1 pound of dried black beans, soaked in water overnight, drain.
- You need 2 cups of brown rice.
- You need 3 of &1/2 cups water plus salt to taste to cook rice.
- Prepare 1 of large onion, chopped well.
- You need 4 cloves of garlic, rough chop.
- You need 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of chile powder; mild, medium or hot, to your taste.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of dried oregano.
- It’s of salt and pepper.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of chopped tomatos.
- Prepare of Optional ×* Serve with fresh chopped cilantro.
Stir in the onions, peppers, garlic, bay leaves and cumin. Once you know how to make black beans and rice, you can start experimenting with the classic side by incorporating your favorite vegetables and spices. That's exactly what we did for our black beans and rice recipe, which you can make using our regular or reduced sodium black bean varieties. We mix in tomatoes, onions and green peppers, plus seasonings like thyme and garlic salt for extra.
Black Beans and Rice step by step
- Cook beans in water for 45 minutes or until soft. (You will save 1 cup of cooked bean water). Cook rice at the same time, rice will take closer to an hour to cook over low heat. While beans and rice are cooking, prep veggies and measure out spices in a small bowl..
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and add onion, cook for 3 minutes then add garlic, gently cook 2 more minutes. Add spices. Add cooked beans and reserved bean water and tomatoes. Mix. Simmer for 2o minutes..
- Serve on top of hot cooked rice..
Heat oil in a medium sauce pan, sauté onion,green pepper, and garlic. Recipe Tips – Beans and rice can also be made in an Instant Pot. For Instant Pot recipes, use dried beans. Variations – You can swap out black beans for kidney beans or pinto beans. You can also free to add any additional veggies such as zucchini, corn, and tomatoes.