Spicy Squid/Calamari. When it comes to cooking squid, the method is quite different from how we cook the other regular seafood. Since calamari is more tender as well as tastier, it is best to grill, stir-fries or simply fry whereas the squid is best to stuff and stew. But, I do love some lightly fried calamari any day of the week so it was definitely worth the extra effort to make some delicious low-carb squid.
If the oil isn't hot enough, the coconut. It is best to use fresh squid to make spicy calamari. The squid needs to be washed in running water and the outer layer needs to be peeled. You can have Spicy Squid/Calamari using 15 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Spicy Squid/Calamari
- Prepare 300 gr of squid, cleaned.
- Prepare of Lemon/lime juice.
- It’s 8 of kaffir lime leaves.
- You need 1 cm of (0.5 in) galangal.
- Prepare 2 of tomatoes, cut into 4 or 6.
- Prepare of Salt.
- You need of Sugar.
- It’s of Pepper.
- You need 4 of shallots, thinly sliced.
- You need 4 of garlic cloves, thinly sliced.
- It’s 2 cm of (1 in) ginger, cut into matchstick.
- You need 1 of red jalapeno, sliced.
- You need 1 of green jalapeno, sliced.
- You need 10 of or more dried chilies, sliced.
- It’s 1 of lemon grass, white part only, thinly sliced.
This is the thin layer that gives the squid its color. I also get rid of all the stuff inside the squid. A regular spoon should do the trick to clean the cavity. Squid / Calamari can be quickly prepared as the cooking time is very less, take care not to over cook squid.
Spicy Squid/Calamari instructions
- Coat the squid with lemon juice. Leave it for 10-15 minutes then rinse. Cut as you like..
- Heat a little oil in a pan. Saute all the sliced ingredients (from shallots to lemon grass) until fragrance..
- Add in kaffir lime leaves, galangal and tomatoes. Stir until the tomatoes wilted..
- Turn the heat up on high then add in the squid..
- Add salt, a little bit sigar and pepper. Stir it quickly..
- Add a little bit water if needed. Give a stir real quick and have a taste. Add more seasoning if needed. Serve over the warm rice..
- Squid cooked fast, so don't cook them too long, otherwise they'd become very chewy..
In today's Spicy Squid-Calamari Stir Fry recipe the main ingredient squid/ calamari is cooked in onion and tomato and spices with ginger garlic ,green chili and spice powders like coriander powder, turmeric powder, chili powder, all. The fried calamari or spicy squid recipe is one of our favorites. Undoubtedly, kids bring out the best in you, well most of the time. Initially, it was only because of Nivaan's love for seafood and insistence that I ventured into the world of squid. This fried calamari have a light and crisp coating with a very tender inside.