15 bean Cajun soup mix with smoked sausage & rice. So what makes it "cajun" you may ask? Well besides adding the sausage we also add a little of the all delicious Tony Chacere's creole seasoning to give it a little kick!! So just buy the original for this recipe.
This spicy black bean soup recipe is quick and easy, made with spicy andouille or another smoked sausage, black beans, tomatoes, and vegetables. This recipe uses Andouille sausage for a little added kick, but you can substitute any kind of smoked sausage if you prefer a little less heat. Serve with long grain rice and/or corn bread. You can have 15 bean Cajun soup mix with smoked sausage & rice using 25 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of 15 bean Cajun soup mix with smoked sausage & rice
- Prepare 1 bag (20 oz) of hurst ham beens 15 bean cajun soup mix.
- It’s 1 of medium white or yellow onion diced.
- Prepare 1/2 of green bell pepper diced.
- You need 1/2 of red bell pepper diced.
- It’s 3/4 cup of celery diced.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic minced.
- It’s of Seasoning packet from beans.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of parsley.
- It’s 4 cups of filtered water.
- It’s 4 cups of chicken broth.
- You need 1 of ham hock.
- It’s 2 packs (12 oz) of each beef smoked sausage sliced and halfed.
- You need of Juice of 1 small lemon.
- It’s 1 can (14.5 oz) of petite diced tomatoes don't drain.
- You need 2 teaspoons of Italian seasonings.
- You need 1 teaspoon of sea salt.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of butter.
- It’s of For rice 👇.
- You need 3 cups of white instant rice.
- You need 3 cups of filtered water.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of sea salt.
- You need 1 teaspoon of pepper.
- You need 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- It’s 4 tablespoons of butter.
Use bulk Italian sausage in the soup. Brown in a large skillet over medium heat, drain, and then add to the soup. Or make it with browned hot or mild breakfast sausage. Make the soup with ground beef instead of sausage.
15 bean Cajun soup mix with smoked sausage & rice step by step
- Rinse and sort through beans and check for unwanted debris and discard..
- In slow cooker add beans, onion, peppers, garlic, celery, parsley, seasoning packet, broth and water. Mix up and add ham hock in..
- Cover and cook on high for 8 or 9 hours (don't open lid while cooking).
- Brown sausage in a skillet on medium high heat and set aside in refrigerator till ready for use..
- After 8 hours check beans for doneness. If tender remove ham hock and remove fatty outside and shred and add to soup. Add in browned sausage, tomatoes, Italian seasonings, lemon juice, butter, salt and pepper. Stir up and cover and continue to cook for about 30 more minutes.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and then add in rice, butter, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes covered..
- Serve with rice and enjoy with some buttered cornbread on the side.
Cook until browned and no longer pink. Works great with a leftover ham bone after the holidays! See cooking tips below the recipe for more info. Guaranteed to warm you up on a cold day this hearty soup is both inexpensive and filling. Hurst's HamBeens Brand has a long family history and each generation remains committed to providing quality and affordable meal options for families.