Steamed sweet potato with chilli con carne. Steamed sweet potato with chilli con carne. Packed with flavour and a whole bunch of your favorite ingredients, this may just be the TASTIEST sweet stuffed potato that you will EVER eat! Roast healthy sweet potatoes and stuff the spicy chilli con carne inside.
On picture, I used purple sweet potato but feel free to use any available sweet potato. *Type O, diabetic, and Keto diet friendly recipe. Poke holes in each sweet potato with a fork, place the potatoes on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Prick the skins of sweet potatoes several times with a fork. You can cook Steamed sweet potato with chilli con carne using 20 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Steamed sweet potato with chilli con carne
- Prepare 2 pc. of sweet potato, medium (approx 2 x 4 inch each).
- You need 1/2 cup of lean ground beef.
- Prepare 1 pc. of carrot, small, minced.
- You need 1/4 cup of pinto beans (cooked and canned, or refried type).
- Prepare 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare of Spices.
- You need 1 pc. of bell pepper, small (red or green), finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 pc. of onion, small, finely chopped.
- Prepare 2 cloves of garlic.
- You need 1 tsp of salt, adjust according to taste.
- Prepare 1/8 tsp of ground cumin.
- Prepare of Sauce.
- It’s 1 tbsp of tomato paste.
- It’s 1/8 tsp of cayenne or chilli pepper.
- Prepare 1/8 cup of lemon / lime/ calamansi juice.
- You need Dash of honey, to taste.
- Prepare 1-2 tbsp of water.
- Prepare of Optional.
- Prepare 1/8 tsp of anise seed (optional).
- Prepare 2 tbsp of shredded mozarella, as garnish (optional).
Lightly spray sweet potato with oil and place on a plate lined with paper towel. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. The Best Sweet Potatoes are Steamed, and I Don't Want to Hear About It Fluffy, pudding-like sweet potatoes are even better topped with tahini butter and a generous shake of sesame seeds. Chilli con carne is a classic family meal that makes a nourishing weeknight dinner which can be meal prepped for a busy week.
Steamed sweet potato with chilli con carne instructions
- Drain your cooked pinto beans, and set aside 1/4 cup. Transfer remaining pinto beans on a canister and fill it with water then keep it in fridge for future use. If using canned refried pinto beans just set aside 1/4 cups, and transfer the remaining good stuff on a container and store it in fridge..
- Fill large pot with water (about 6-8 cups), set steamer and place washed root crop. Cover with lid. Turn heat to high. Soon as the water boil, turn heat down to medium. Let root crop steam for 30 minutes. NOTE: A. you don't want a burnt pot 🤭, so check water level every 10 minutes. Add water when necessary. B. boiling root crop reduces its natural sweet flavor, which is why I do not recommend that method. C. If you own a microwave, nuke it for 40 mins..
- While the root crop is steaming, chop your onion, garlic, carrot and bell pepper. Set aside..
- Make the sauce. On a small bowl, mix well all "sauce" ingredients. Set aside..
- Time to stir fry spices: Put pan over high heat, soon as it smokes a bit, turn down heat to medium. Wait for 10 seconds before placing olive oil. Stir fry onion until semi translucent, then mix in minced garlic. Soon as garlic is almost golden brown add in cumin, (anise seed – optional) and bell pepper..
- If spices wafts fragrantly at home this point meant it is time to mix in your minced carrots and lean ground beef. Continue stir frying until beef is cooked. Then add in cooked pinto beans and sauce mix. Stir then let it simmer with lid cover, over low heat for about 2-4 minutes. If the sauce is reduced, just add 1 or 2 tbsp water and let it simmer for additional 30 sec. more or less, uncovered. Your chilli con carne is done..
- Your sweet potato is done after 30mins of steaming. But if you want it extra soft, steam it for another 10-15 minutes..
- Take out the root crop off the steamer. Using a wet, but wringed out hand towel, peel off sweet potato skin to discard it..
- On chopping board, cut one sweet potato in half lenght wise, then transfer on one serving bowl. Blanket sweet potato with the chilli con carne, and top it with freshly shredded mozarella cheese (optional). Repeat this step for the other sweet potato, and serve that other set to your love one or a friend. Enjoy!.
Like my vegetarian chilli, this rich and hearty chilli con carne is healthy, filling and so quick to prepare. With warming and kid-friendly flavours, it makes the perfect feel-good comfort dinner on a cold winter night! I've used pinto beans here, because I really like them. Indeed, steaming sweet potatoes is the easiest and the most common way to ever consider with just quick and simple steps. So, the next time you have sweet potatoes, bear in mind that steaming should be your first option before coming up with some other recipe variations.