Lentil and tomato curry, Indian style. Sauté the veggies and spices: Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. This Indian cauliflower, lentil and tomato curry is healthy, delicious, easy and so flavourful. Cauliflower or gobi is widely used in Indian cooking.
Through my research, I learned that makhani is often served with black lentils (dal makhani), so I decided to add lentils for substance and give the recipe name a makeover: Tomato and Lentil Curry. While it's certainly an improvement, I'm not sure any name could represent this bold and spicy, hearty dish in its full glory. Yellow split peas is a terrific substitution though the cook times do differ (see recipe notes). You can cook Lentil and tomato curry, Indian style using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Lentil and tomato curry, Indian style
- It’s 1/2 can of lentils.
- Prepare 1/2 can of diced tomatoes.
- It’s 1 of small onion, sliced.
- It’s 1 tbs of finely minced ginger.
- Prepare 1 tbs of finely minced garlic.
- Prepare 1 tsp of coriander seeds.
- You need 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of yellow mustard seeds.
- You need 1 of bay leaf (optional).
- Prepare 2 tbs of garam masala powder.
- It’s 2 tbs of cooking cream.
- You need 1 tsp of sugar (I used coconut sugar).
- Prepare 1 tbs of oil (I used coconut).
- You need to taste of Salt and pepper,.
Other lentils can be used as well – see notes for directions and notes on other lentil types. Dal Spices- Dal is made with far less spices than most Indian curries! This recipe calls for a simple combination of cumin, garam masala and turmeric. This masoor dal recipe (red lentil curry) is a curry lover's dream, with nutty red lentils, hearty potatoes and lots of curry seasoning.
Lentil and tomato curry, Indian style step by step
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add in the coriander, cumin, and mustard seeds. Fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds or so..
- Reduce heat to low-medium and add in the garlic, ginger, and onions, being careful not to burn the garlic and ginger..
- Cook onions until soft and translucent, stirring frequently to avoid burning the spices and aromatics..
- Add in lentils and tomatoes, stir everything together, then turn heat back to medium. Add in garam masala powder, bay leaf, sugar, and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste..
- Stirring occasionally, simmer until reduced to preferred consistency (I like it more like a stew and not so liquid)..
- Add in cream, then reduce once again to preferred consistency..
- Remove from heat and serve..
So easy to spice it up! We're making red lentil curry tonight in the Chili Pepper Madness kitchen, my friends. Would you care for a bowl? We're in love with curries in general. These mixed lentil koftas with tomato curry coconut sauce are easy to make.