Tender Lentils and Rice. Rinse the rice, then transfer to the pot of lentils and season with salt. Remove the pot from the heat. Spread the onions over the rice and lentil mixture to serve.
Rice: Brown rice is best for this recipe, it needs to cook just as long as the brown lentils do, so at the end, they are both perfectly cooked, tender but not mushy. And the brown rice has a nutty, chewy consistency, which fits this dish perfectly. Lentils: I've cooked this rice dish with both brown and red lentils over the years. You can cook Tender Lentils and Rice using 6 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Tender Lentils and Rice
- It’s 1 cup of Lentils.
- You need 1 cup of Rice.
- You need 3 of and 1/2 cups Water.
- Prepare 1 of Onion sliced.
- Prepare 1 of Zucchini cut in cubes (optional).
- It’s 1 of Tomato cut in cubes (optional).
The rice and lentils are best when the grains are tender, but separate.) I used brown rice and cooked with the lentils with no problems. I used chicken stock for a bit more flavor. Cook at a boil until the lentils are just tender. Add the rice, salt and olive oil, and bring back to a boil.
Tender Lentils and Rice instructions
- Boil water, add some salt and throw the lentils in there. Cover the pot and lower the fire to medium-low just to keep a simmer. Set timer for 15 minutes..
- In a separate frying pan, fry around the sliced onions until brown. Set aside half of it for later..
- (Optional step for additional sauteed veggies) Add the zucchini to the remaining onions in the pan then stir-fry the whole until zucchini is tender. Add tomatoes a bit before turning off the fire. Add salt and pepper to taste..
- Once 15 minutes have past for the lentils, pour in the rice and add the onions you set aside earlier. Mix a bit. Cover the pot again and let simmer for another 15 min..
- (If you didn't do the sauteed veggies) Continue to stir fry half of the onions until darker brown. Set aside..
- After 15 minutes, taste the lentils-rice. It should be tender and look humid (not dry). If it's crunchy, leave it a bit longer..
- To serve, add the darker brown onions or the sauteed veggies to the mix. And voilà!.
Check to make sure the rice is done, adjust seasonings, and serve. Stir in the lentils and let the mixture return to a simmer. Add the rice and cook, stirring often (but gently so you don't break the rice!) until some rice grains start to brown. Add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic and cook until the vegetables are tender. Stir the broth, lentils and rice in the skillet and heat to a boil.