Masoor Dahl (Red Lentil Curry) with Rice. If you want a quick and satisfying vegan dinner for weeknights, you have come to the right place. Instant pot masoor dal with cabbage is a very easy, delicious cabbage curry or curried cabbage with red lentils. We use masoor dal in this cabbage dal fry which is split red lentils.
This recipe for masoor dal, or red split lentil curry, is my go-to dal. It's wholesome, satisfying, and simple to make. This recipe includes stovetop, Instant Pot, and pressure cooker instructions. You can cook Masoor Dahl (Red Lentil Curry) with Rice using 18 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Masoor Dahl (Red Lentil Curry) with Rice
- You need 1 cups of lentils (red kind).
- Prepare 4 cups of water.
- Prepare 2 of onion.
- You need 2 of tomato.
- Prepare to taste of Ginger root.
- Prepare cloves of Garlic to taste.
- It’s of Ground cumin.
- Prepare of Ground garam masala.
- It’s of Ground coriander.
- It’s of Ground cardamom.
- Prepare of Chili powder.
- It’s of Cayenne pepper.
- Prepare of Ground turmeric.
- Prepare of Salt.
- Prepare of Ghee or oil.
- Prepare of Fresh Coriander.
- You need of Ground cinnamon.
- Prepare 1 cup of rice.
Red Curry Masoor Dal is made with red curry paste, ginger, garlic and red lentils. It's an easy weeknight meal and is freezer friendly! This spicy red lentils recipe is adapted from Rakhee Yadav's beautiful new book Heavenly Vegan Dals & Curries. This recipe is vegan, vegetarian and gluten free.
Masoor Dahl (Red Lentil Curry) with Rice step by step
- Wash and rinse the rice. Then cook your rice per package directions and set aside. While rice is cooking wash and rinse your lentils then set aside.
- Dice onion garlic ginger tomato and set aside.
- In a bowl, proportion your spices to taste and set aside. I usually lead with turmeric and cumin as 11/2tsp ea followed by the rest at 1/4 to 1/2 tsp ea. You could just use a curry powder if you want. Proportion to taste. I used a curry powder (big pile on white cutting board) in the below photo along with some other spices. I did use a measuring spoon because it makes cool little piles).
- Heat ghee or oil in a pot then saute the onion until brown over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and ginger to pot then saute for another 1 minutes or so.
- Add diced tomato and saute for another 2 minutes or so.
- Add spices and mix into the masala and let them cook for 1 minute or so.
- Add lentils and mix until coated in spices.
- Add water, start with 2 cups in and then bring to boil then turn heat down and simmer covered for 20 to 30 minutes. Make sure to check it and give it a stir every so often. Add additional water as needed to form your desired consistency. (Blury photo).
- Chop the coriander then add to the pot. Reserve some leaves to add to each serving. Below photo was taken before I added some coriander to my bowl.
- You can do the same thing with chickpeas (channa dahl) just follow direction for preparing/cooking dried chickpeas or use canned version. I prefer the dried pulses..
- You can also omit the pulse and just add chicken and potato to make a chicken curry dish. I guess that is another receipe…lol.
Delicious Desi Homemade tasty Masoor Dal. Enjoy with rice, naan, bread or chapatti. This recipe is prepared in a pressure cooker but you can make it in instant pot too. This recipe is flavorful and light to consume. Sticky masoor dal rice is a recipe that is pretty.