Black lentil. Organic Black Lentils, Also Known As Beluga Lentils. Black lentils can be commonly found at Whole Foods, as well as online grocery sources like Amazon and Instacart. Keep an eye out in the bulk bin aisle at natural foods stores and South Asian.
Serve as a side or as lunches throughout the week. Or, use black lentils in this easier French Lentil Salad. Black lentils are nothing like other lentils and they hold their texture and absorb the flavor. You can cook Black lentil using 11 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Black lentil
- You need 1.5 cup of Black lentil.
- Prepare 1 tsp of cumin seeds.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of asafoetida.
- It’s 3/4 tsp of minced garlic.
- Prepare 3/4 tsp of minced ginger.
- Prepare 1 of onion finely chopped.
- You need 2 of tomatoes.
- It’s 1 of tblsp avacado oil or ghee.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- You need 1/2 of turmeric.
- Prepare 1/2 of red chili powder.
I have served it with tofu steaks and a salad or with brown rice and a vegetable. The quality of Barry Farm's belugas are excellent: consistent size, shape, texture, and taste. The black lentils really do make a difference. I've made this twice now, once with green Puy French lentils and once with black beluga.
Black lentil instructions
- Wash and soak lentil for 30 mins.
- Heat oil in instant pot sauté mode or pressure cooker, add cumin, asafoetida and copped onion and sauté till onion is translucent.
- Add garlic and ginger paste and sauté for another min.
- Add tomatoes, salt to taste, red chili powder to taste and turmeric.
- Sauté all for 5 mins..
- Add the soaked lentil and 5 cups of water.
- Change the instant pot to pressure cook mode. I have a diff brand so in mine I set it to full pressure for 10 mins. You cAn start with this setting and if lentil is still hard then you will have to pressure cook it for some more time. If you are using traditional pressure cooker then pressure cook it for about 25 mins..
- After the pressure is done you can add water if the lentil is too thick and give a quick boil. If it’s too thin then just boil to reduce..
There is a textural difference between the two. The black belugas have more a round shape than most other types and this seems to give it a pearl look and texture. This Mediterranean Black Lentil Salad with cucumbers, spinach and feta is super easy to whip together. Just toss the lentils together with a little dressing and veggies, and you have the perfect summer side dish or gluten-free vegetarian main course. Vigna mungo, the black gram, urad bean, minapa pappu, mungo bean or black matpe bean (māṣa) is a bean grown in the South East Asia.