Spicy Lentil Soup. In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. This spicy lentil soup is a flavorful and hearty one-pot dinner! You don't need to add a thing but your favorite pita or freshly-baked bread.
Most soups take only a few minutes to prepare and then a little time to simmer. I often make and take homemade soup to friends who are in need of a bit of comforting. This one makes four small servings, and is perfect for vegetarians and spice lovers. You can have Spicy Lentil Soup using 17 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Spicy Lentil Soup
- Prepare 1 cup of red lentils.
- It’s 1 cup of coconut milk.
- It’s 3 1/2 cups of unsalted vegetable stock.
- You need 1 (15 oz) of can unsalted diced tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 1/2 of onions chopped.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of minced garlic.
- You need 2 tsp of curry powder.
- It’s 2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- You need 2 tsp of cumin seeds.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of cardamom.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- It’s 1 tsp of crushed red pepper.
- You need 6 oz of baby spinach.
- You need 1 of bay leaf.
- It’s to taste of salt and pepper.
- You need 1 of lime, cut into wedges.
Here is the step-by-step for today's Spicy Spinach Lentil Soup. Add the chopped onions and sautee until golden brown. Add the garlic, all the spices, dried mint, sugar and flour. Scoop out about half with a spoon and set aside.
Spicy Lentil Soup instructions
- Dice onions and garlic.
- Add oil, onions and garlic in a large stock pot and sauté over medium heat for 5-6 minutes..
- Add remaining ingredients, except spinach and lime, and simmer for 30 minutes..
- Add spinach and stir until wilted..
- Serve in a bowl and squeeze 1 lime wedge over the top to cut the heat from the spices..
Lentil soup is quite possibly the least sexy sounding soup on the planet. Regular readers know that I'm all about big flavours. Spicy, herby, curries – kapow, kapow, kapow! A well made Lentil Soup recipe is can't-stop-eating-it good. Soup recipe roughly based on America's Test Kitchen's lentil soup in The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook, with reference to The First Mess' favourite lentil soup.