Lentil fingers. This vegetarian dish ( kirmizi mercimek köftesi) comes from eastern providence of Turkey: Gaziantep. I added some potatoes , you can also Add some garlic into onions. When my son was just starting baby-led weaning, he was a bit resistant to eating meat, so I've gotten creative with vegan sources of iron and protein.
The flavourful ingredients are the key to the amazing taste of Crispy Lentil Fingers. Pull an egg sized amount of the mixture, hold it in your palm and press it gently with your fingers. Place it on the lettuce bed. You can cook Lentil fingers using 12 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Lentil fingers
- Prepare 1 cup of red lentils ( washed, rinsed).
- It’s 2 of medium potatoes – chopped.
- You need 3 cups of water.
- Prepare 2 of dry onions.
- It’s of Scallions.
- Prepare of Salt, pepper,.
- It’s 1 tsp of cumin.
- Prepare 1 tsp of red pepper flakes.
- You need 1 tbsp of tomato paste.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of pepper paste.
- It’s 1/2 bunch of parsley -chopped.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of fine bulgur.
Keep doing this until the lettuce bed is covered with the lentil fingers. You may create a lettuce wrap with the red lentil fingers by placing a red lentil finger in a lettuce leaf and wrapping it. The best part about this finger food is that it's great for you. You get protein and fiber from the lentils, healthy carbs from the bulgur, and just enough spice from the green onions and red pepper to make this dish the perfect appetizer or snack.
Lentil fingers step by step
- Wash lentils, rinse, peel potatoes . In a small saucepan, combine the lentils, potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3 cups of water.Bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered over low heat, until absorb most of the water or cooked. (Keep a cup of boiling water aside, we may need later).
- Meanwhile chop onions.
- Chop parsley, scallions.
- Stir lentil mix into the bulgur and remove from the heat. Cover and set aside until the bulgur is very soft, 15 to 20 minutes..
- In a small skillet over low heat, heat the oil and add the onion, sautéing until soft, about 3 minutes.
- . Add the tomato and pepper pastes and mix well. Remove from the heat and cool. Add cumin, crushed red pepper and black pepper..
- Add the onion mixture to the lentil mixture and toss to mix..
- Add the scallions and parsley, mixing gently.
- form the lentil mixture into oval balls.
- You can line the platter with lettuce leaves before you serving..
Each lentil variety cooks up differently and therefore suit different types of meals. Red / Yellow Split Lentils break down when cooked and have a soft "mushy" texture. I like to use them to make Lentil Pancakes and soft finger foods for babies, such as these Lentil, Carrot and Sweet Potato. Drain the lentils well and add them to the food processor with the grated carrot and courgette. Blitz until all the lentils have broken down and the ingredients are well combined.