Curried Red Lentils. Find Deals on Curried Lentils in Groceries on Amazon. Wash the lentils in cold water until the water runs clear. Combine the curry paste, spices, garlic and ginger in a bowl.
Cook the curry base until the lentils are ready. Cook the lentils according to directions. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. You can have Curried Red Lentils using 14 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Curried Red Lentils
- You need 2 cups of red lentils.
- It’s 1 of large onion, diced.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of vegetable / coconut oil.
- It’s 1 can of tomato puree (approx. 404 grams).
- You need 1/2 cup of frozen petit pois (optional).
- Prepare 2 tablespoon of curry paste.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of curry powder.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of ground cumin.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of chili powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of white sugar.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of minced fresh ginger.
Add the onion and saute for a few minutes until fragrant and golden. Curried Red Lentil soup is fragrant and very easy to make. Oil is heated in a heavy stock pot and the onion, garlic and ginger are sauteed until the onions soften. The spices are added, making almost a paste, and allowed to become fragrant with the heat.
Curried Red Lentils instructions
- Always remember to wash the lentils in cold water until the water runs clear so that it minimises the scum that comes from boiling it..
- Put lentils in a pot with enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer..
- Add water during cooking as needed to keep covered, until tender. This takes approximately 15-20mins..
- Once the lentils are done, set aside. *At this point, the original recipe calls for a proper draining of the lentils to get rid of access water. However, I opted to keep the water since there wasn’t a lot left in the pot and I prefer to have more gravy to mop up with my bread..
- Mix curry paste, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, salt, sugar, garlic & ginger in a bowl and set aside..
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook onions until they are soft and caramalised..
- Stir spice mixture into the onions. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant (approx 2-3 mins)..
- Stir in the tomato puree and heat through..
- Remove skillet from heat and stir into the lentils..
- Add in frozen petit pois without thawing and allow the heat from the curried lentils to heat it through..
- Put the pot of lentil & spice mixture back onto the hob and keep it on the lowest heat, stirring occasionally to warm through (about 2-3 minutes) before serving..
This curried red lentil soup is inspired by the Indian side dish dal; the Hindi word means "split" and refers to the split peas or lentils used in its preparation. Fragrant ginger, curry, cinnamon and cumin add lots of rich flavor. Look for lentils and spices in bulk–you'll often get a better deal and you can buy just the amount you need. Add the lentils, stock, salt and browned sweet potatoes to the pot and bring to a boil over high. If you like the flavours of Indian curry you'll love dhal, essentially curried lentil puree served over rice.