Chicken Barley Chili.
You can cook Chicken Barley Chili using 19 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken Barley Chili
- You need 1 medium of onion, chopped.
- You need 3 clove of garlic, minced.
- You need 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 can of diced tomatoes, undrained (14.5 oz can).
- Prepare 1 can of chicken broth (14.5 oz).
- Prepare 1 of jar/can tomato sauce OR salsa 16 oz – 20 oz.
- You need 4 cup of water.
- Prepare 1 cup of Quaker Medium Barley.
- It’s 3 tbsp of sofrito (optional).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of chili powder.
- You need 1 tsp of ground cumin.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- You need pinch of chipotle powder.
- It’s 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed (15 oz).
- It’s 1 can of corn, undrained (15 oz).
- It’s 1 1/2 lb of chicken breast, cooked and shredded.
- It’s 1 tbsp of shredded cheese (each serving).
- You need 1 tbsp of sour cream (each serving).
- You need 1 of salt and pepper to taste.
Chicken Barley Chili step by step
- In a LARGE saucepan or stockpot, heat up oil and add onions. Saute for about 10 minutes or until onions are golden. Add garlic and saute for a minute..
- Add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce (or salsa), broth, water, barley, sofrito, chili powder, salt, cumin and chipotle powder. Over medium-high heat, stirring often, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally..
- Add beans, corn and chicken. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often. Check that barley is tender. Remove from heat. Salt and pepper to taste (if necessary)..
- Serve with a spoonful of shredded cheese and sour cream and mix it all up. We love eating this with tortilla chips for dipping and crushing on top. Makes A LOT – prepare to freeze some leftovers if you're not feeding a crew. Enjoy : ).
- A modified version of a recipe on the back of the Quaker Medium Barley box. Yum – it's good stuff!.