Spicy Tomato Basil Soup.
You can cook Spicy Tomato Basil Soup using 13 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Spicy Tomato Basil Soup
- Prepare 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter (1 stick).
- Prepare 2-4 tablespoons of chili infused oil (I used cayenne infused).
- Prepare 4 of large carrots, diced.
- You need 2 of medium yellow onions, diced.
- It’s 3 of large (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes.
- You need 1 of bay leaf (dried).
- It’s 1 of rind (about 6 square inches) from a cheese such as Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Romano.
- It’s 4 cups of homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock.
- It’s 1 cup of heavy cream.
- It’s to taste of salt.
- Prepare to taste of freshly ground black pepper.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of ground cayenne.
- It’s 1.5 cups of chopped basil.
Spicy Tomato Basil Soup instructions
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat until foaming, then add carrots and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until butter starts to brown on the bottom, about 15 minutes. Add 2-3 teaspoons of the chili infused oil and saute for about 2-3 minutes..
- Add tomatoes, followed by chicken stock. Once it reaches a simmer add the cheese rind and bay leaf. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until quite thick, about 1 1/2 hours; adjust heat as needed to maintain a gentle simmer. Remove the bay leaf and cheese rind (if it hasn't melted)..
- Purée soup with an immersion blender until smooth, or cool until no longer steaming before puréeing in a countertop blender..
- Stir in cream, then season with salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste. Rewarm to serve. Stir in 1 cup of the basil just before serving..
- Serve with a garnish of basil and a drizzle of chili infused oil..