Creamy Tomato Basil Soup. Cooked tomatoes and tomato juice are pureed with fresh basil leaves in this soup thickened with heavy cream. All Reviews for Rich and Creamy Tomato Basil Soup. This creamy tomato – basil soup hits the spot, especially with a side of extra-gooey grilled cheese.
He made this delicious creamy tomato basil soup with parmesan that I would eat by the bowl full. To keep costs low he didn't put parmesan cheese in the soup, but when he served it to me, he would sprinkle a generous serving of parmesan cheese on top, then wink and tell me not to tell the owners. This easy Tomato Basil Soup is creamy comfort food loaded with pureed tomatoes, carrots, celery, onions, garlic and basil for multi-dimensional flavor and layers of YUM! You can cook Creamy Tomato Basil Soup using 20 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- You need 2 tbs of butter.
- Prepare 1 tsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion – chopped.
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic – crushed.
- Prepare 2 (14.5 oz) of cans whole tomatoes – drained.
- It’s 6 cups of tomato juice.
- Prepare 4-6 tbs of granulated sugar.
- Prepare 2 tsp of chicken soup base (or 2 cubes bullion).
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of black pepper.
- You need to taste of sea salt.
- Prepare 1 cup of evaporated milk.
- You need 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil.
- Prepare of Optional garnishes (per bowl).
- Prepare 1 tsp of chiffonade of fresh basil.
- Prepare 1 tsp of chopped fresh parsley.
- You need 3-4 of seasoned croutons.
- Prepare 2 tsp of shredded mozzarella or parmesan.
- You need of couple dashes Tabasco sauce.
- You need of drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- You need pinch of cayenne powder or smoked paprika.
You can never go wrong at dinner time with this easy, make ahead friendly, satisfying Tomato Basil Soup! Creamy Tomato Basil Soup is a rich and creamy soup using tomatoes, garlic, sauteed onions, fresh basil, and cream. I have been blogging at Modern Honey for almost two years. In some ways, it feels like it flew by and in other ways, it feels like a lifetime.
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup instructions
- Melt butter with olive oil in a 3 to 4 quart stock pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Sautee until onions are translucent. About 5 – 7 minutes..
- Transfer onion and garlic to blender. Add drained cans of whole tomatoes. Cover and pulse until you have a coarse puree. Note: You may want to vent the lid slightly so steam doesn't pop the lid off..
- Transfer puree back to stockpot over medium high heat. Add tomato juice, soup base and 3 tbs of the sugar. Taste and add up to 1 more tbs sugar at this time. Note: The sugar is used to help cut the acidity of the tomatoes. The acidity of tomatoes can vary from batch to batch so always start low when adding the sugar..
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 20 – 25 minutes to reduce slightly (about the consistency of a thin gravy). Taste soup after it has reduced. Add pepper, salt to taste, and up to 2 tbs more sugar as needed/desired (I normally use the full 6 tbs)..
- Reduce heat to low. Once soup has stopped bubbling stir in evaporated milk until well incorporated. Then stir in chopped basil. Cover and let sit about 5 minutes for flavors to blend..
- Dish up and garnish with any combination of suggested garnishes above..
- Alternate version: For a smoother consistency, before adding evaporated milk carefully run soup through a fine mesh sieve to remove all the solids. Return to pot, then add evaporated milk and basil as in step 5..
It depends on the day. 🙂 For the past two. This creamy Tomato Basil Soup is restaurant-quality DELICIOUS and it's loaded with hidden vegetables. I've also included instructions for how to make it in the slow cooker and instant pot! I created this soup while trying to duplicate one I enjoyed at a restaurant in Philadelphia. It isn't exactly right, but it's close!