Tortellini with a Creamy Tomato Basil Sauce.
You can have Tortellini with a Creamy Tomato Basil Sauce using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Tortellini with a Creamy Tomato Basil Sauce
- Prepare 20 oz. of package of tortellini, any flavor you'd like.
- Prepare 3 tbsp. of butter.
- Prepare 1/2 of small yellow onion, diced.
- Prepare 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 3 tbsp. of all purpose flour.
- It’s 1 cup of milk.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream.
- It’s 1 can (14 oz.) of unsalted diced tomatoes, undrained.
- Prepare 3 tbsp. of fresh basil, chopped finely (or 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil).
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of pepper.
- You need 1/4 tsp. of salt.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese (plus more for topping).
Tortellini with a Creamy Tomato Basil Sauce instructions
- Get a large pot of salted water going over high heat for the tortellini. Once it comes to a boil, stir in the tortellini and cook according to the package directions. Meanwhile, in a seperate pot, get the sauce going..
- In a seperate, medium sized pot, heat the butter over medium heat. Once it's melted, add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, so it can start to soften up. Then stir in the garlic and cook an additional 2 or so minutes, stirring often..
- Add the flour and whisk until it is all incorporated with the butter. Let this cook for a minute or so, stirring often..
- Slowly whisk in the milk and cream until it is all added and smoothly incorporated. Increase the heat to med-high, then add the diced tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Let this come to a gentle simmer..
- Once at a simmer, reduce the heat slightly and allow this to simmer for about 5 or so minutes, until it has thickened up. Then remove it from the heat and immediately stir in the parmesan cheese..
- By now, your tortellini should be done and drained. Stir the cooked tortellini into the sauce and stir it all together. That's it! Serve topped with some additional freshly grated parmesan cheese..