Fish in Spicy Tamarind Sauce (Asam Pedas).
You can cook Fish in Spicy Tamarind Sauce (Asam Pedas) using 23 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Fish in Spicy Tamarind Sauce (Asam Pedas)
- It’s 2 pc of Sea Bass Fillet (240 g) or Mackerel.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Salt (marinate).
- Prepare of Sambal Paste (blend well).
- You need 20 g of Dried Chilli (deseed, rehydrated).
- Prepare 40 g of Shallots.
- Prepare 20 g of Garlic.
- You need 20 g of Ginger Root.
- It’s 20 g of Galangal Root.
- You need 20 g of Turmeric Root.
- Prepare 20 g of Lemongrass Stalk (white part).
- You need 20 g of Fermented Shrimp Paste (Belacan).
- You need of Other Ingredients;.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of Tamarind Pulp (soaked in 1 cup water, deseeded).
- You need 10 Sprigs of Vietnamese Mint (Daun Kesum).
- Prepare 2 stalk of Ginger Flower (sliced half).
- Prepare 2 stalk of Lemongrass (bruised).
- You need 2 pc of Tomatoes (quartered).
- It’s 100 g of Okra (Bendi).
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Fenugreek (Halba).
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Sugar.
- Prepare 3 Tbsp of Cooking Oil.
- You need 2 cup of Water.
- It’s as needed of Salt (to season).
Fish in Spicy Tamarind Sauce (Asam Pedas) instructions
- MARINATE; Salt the fish and set it aside..
- COOK THE PASTE; Heat 3 Tbsp of Cooking Oil until hot. Stir fry the Fenugreek for 5 seconds ONLY and immediately pour in the Sambal Paste. Mix well and cook the paste until the oil separates..
- TAMARIND; once the oil separates, add in the Tamarind juice, Water, Lemongrass, Ginger Flower, Vietnamese Mint, Sugar, Tomatoes and Okra. Mix well, bring it to a boil, cover with a lid and let it cook for 5 minutes..
- POACH THE FISH; After 5 minutes, turn down the heat to a simmer. DISCARD the Vietnamese Mint, Ginger Flower and Lemongrass. Add in the fish (skin side down) and cover with a lid. Poach the fish for 5 minutes..
- GRAVY; After 5 minutes, season the gravy with Salt if necessary. You can also REDUCE the gravy to a thicker consistency by continuing to cook, but REMOVE the fish first. Serve with rice..