Baked beans. Find Beans For Baked Beans Now! Get recipes that start with dried beans and shortcut versions, too. Baked beans make for a perfect side dish to smoky ribs.
Even though you may not have time to start from dried beans, this recipe allows you to turn out a savory and tasty dish based on canned beans. Start by frying up some bacon (because we are firm believers that most things taste better with bacon) and sautéing an onion. The absolute BEST canned baked beans are by B&M. You can have Baked beans using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Baked beans
- Prepare 1 lb of rinsed white navy beans or pinto beans.
- It’s 1 of medium onion peeled.
- It’s 1/2 lb of bacon or salt pork.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of dry mustard.
- It’s 1/8 tsp of pepper.
- Prepare 3 tbls of brown sugar.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of molasses.
- You need 1/2 of ketchup.
- Prepare 1 tbls of yellow mustard.
- Prepare 2 tsp of cider vinegar.
Tons of flavor, great quality beans and NO "mystery pork bits". Use this recipe, but be sure to buy B&M Baked beans for your base. I always add a tablespoon of dark molasses too. Or you could use a meaty ham hock instead of bacon.
Baked beans instructions
- Soak the washed beans in enough cold water to cover overnight.
- In the morning add water to cover the beans if needed and simmer till beans are tender 1 hour maybe more..
- Meanwhile put molasses ketchup, vinegar, mustard in a bowl and mix. Add spices and brown sugar and 1 cup of boiling water and mix well until smooth.
- Place onion in deep casserole dish or bean crock, (I use a 3 liter cast iron pot). Add the bacon or salt pork and spoon the beans and the liquid they boiled in over the onion and pork. Add the molasses mixture gently to the beans.
- Place in a 300 ° oven for 5 1/2 hours. Check once in a while to make sure they are still covered in a bit of liquid..
I even add a diced apple now and then. Soak beans overnight in cold water. But with summer bbq, these baked beans are the perfect counterpart to a great grilled piece of steak or chicken. How long do you bake beans in the oven? The beans will bake in the oven in a dutch oven for a full hour covered with foil.