Red Beans & Rice (Louisiana Style).
You can cook Red Beans & Rice (Louisiana Style) using 21 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Red Beans & Rice (Louisiana Style)
- You need 1 lb. of “dry” red kidney beans (or small red beans).
- Prepare 4 cups of vegetable stock.
- You need 1 cup of water.
- You need 1 of smoked ham hock (or hambone).
- It’s 2 of dried bay leaves.
- Prepare Dash of salt and pepper.
- It’s 1 Tsp. of dried thyme.
- It’s 1/2 Tsp. of cayenne pepper.
- You need 1/2 Tsp. of dried sage.
- It’s Dash of Cajun seasonings.
- You need Dash of olive oil.
- It’s 1 lb. of andouille sausage.
- You need 1 of medium onion, diced.
- You need 1 of green bell pepper, diced.
- You need 3 stalks of celery, chopped fine.
- It’s 2 Tbs. of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1 lb. of cured ham, diced.
- You need 1-2 cups of debris gravy (beef/pork gravy).
- It’s 1/2 cup of fresh parsley, chopped.
- You need Dash of hot sauce & cider vinegar.
- It’s 5-6 cups of “cooked” long grain white rice.
Red Beans & Rice (Louisiana Style) instructions
- Day ahead: Soak beans overnight in a large pot of salted water. This hydrates the beans and reduces the overall cooking time the next day..
- Drain the beans and then add the measured stock and water to the pot. Place the ham hock, bay leaves, and all the seasonings into the pot..
- Bring this to a slight boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover (slightly ajar) and simmer for 2.5 hours. Stir occasionally..
- [At the 2.5 hour mark …] In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat and brown the andouille sausage for 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside to cool..
- In the same pan, sauté onions, bell pepper, and celery in a little oil until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and heat this for another minute..
- Transfer the vegetables to the simmering pot of beans. Slice the sausage (1/3 inch) and diced ham and add to the pot. Continue to simmer..
- [At the 3.5 hour mark …] Remove the ham hock, shred the meat, and add to the pot. Add the brown gravy and parsley with a dash of hot sauce and vinegar and stir. Heat this for 30 minutes..
- Serve the bean-gravy (when the beans are tender) over steamed white rice, with a side of cornbread and enjoy..