A Soup of Beans. Soup beans is a term common in the Southern United States, particularly the regions around the Appalachian Mountains. Soup beans are usually served with cornbread, greens (such as boiled cabbage, cauliflower, or sauerkraut and sausage), and potatoes (stewed or fried). Soup beans refer to brown beans (such as pinto beans) that are cooked with pork for flavoring.
I am an Appalachian "kid" and bean soup was a staple in our family. Here is a little trick I learned. Just divide it up after cooking, cool, then transfer to the freezer for long term. You can have A Soup of Beans using 16 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of A Soup of Beans
- You need 15 ounces of dark kidney beans.
- It’s 15 ounces of light kidney beans.
- It’s 15 ounces of pinto beans.
- It’s 15 ounces of Cannellini beans.
- It’s 1 cup of sliced celery leaves incorporated.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of minced garlic.
- You need 1 of large onion diced.
- It’s 1-1/2 tablespoons of rice vinegar.
- Prepare 1 pint of chicken broth.
- Prepare 1/3 pound of hog jawls, bacon with skin.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of ground cumin.
- You need 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar.
- You need 1 stick of butter.
- You need 1 teaspoon of summer savory.
Hurst Co. in the United States. Amish preaching soup – in American cuisine. Classic bean and bacon soup with white beans, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and plenty of bacon! This is my favorite bean soup recipe.
A Soup of Beans instructions
- Slice the hog jawls into strips. Remove the skin cutting closely to the edges leaving little fat on the strips. Slice the rest of the hog jawls into small bits. Render the fat off the skin..
- Remove the skin strips and slice them into very small pieces. Add the hog jawls into the pot to render them. Dice the onions..
- Add the onion and skin bits into the pot with the rendered hog jawls, sweat the onions for 15 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, and celery sauté for 10 minutes..
- Add the beans, broth, spices and vinegar. Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally..
- After it has simmered 30 minutes add the butter and allow to melt covered with the heat off..
It's super tasty and easy to make; especially if you're a kid.kids love beans right? Bean soups are comforting, casual and budget-friendly. Check out these editors' picks for top bean soups. Combine the delicious taste of pesto with cannellini beans and — voila! — a hearty soup perfect for those cold winter nights. Watch how to make the best black bean soup!