Sig's Traditional Baumkuchen (Tree Cake).
You can have Sig's Traditional Baumkuchen (Tree Cake) using 20 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sig's Traditional Baumkuchen (Tree Cake)
- It’s of For the cake.
- Prepare 5 of eggs.
- Prepare 1 pinch of salt.
- Prepare 75 gr of caster sugar.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of vanilla sugar.
- It’s 40 gr of corn or potato (flour)starch.
- You need 1 of good pinch of cinnamon.
- Prepare 1 pinch of ground cardamom.
- You need 30 gr of ground blanched almonds.
- It’s 80 gr of flour.
- Prepare of I-2 tablespoon best dark rum or Amaretto.
- Prepare 50 ml of milk.
- It’s 125 gr of grated baking marzipan.
- You need 180 gr of soft butter, but not melted.
- It’s 75 gr of icingsugar sifted.
- It’s of I/2 of grated orange peel from unwaxed or organic orange.
- It’s of thick apricot jam (optional).
- You need of For the chocolate frosting.
- Prepare 150 gr of best bitter cooking chocolate, little palm fat.
- You need of Or readymade chocolate frosting to cover cake.
Sig's Traditional Baumkuchen (Tree Cake) instructions
- Preheat oven to 220°, you do need use the griddle function of the oven for this cake. Grease a springform pan. I use a square one but you can use any. Line this with baking paper..
- Separate the eggs. First whisk the whites to a peak with a small pinch of salt then whisk in the sugar and vanilla sugar, carry on whisking for a few more minutes..
- Mix the flour, fine ground almonds, cinnamon and cornflour, gently lift under the eggwhites until combined, set aside..
- Grate the marzipan with the milk and rum, then puree them together, set aside. In a bowl cream the butter and icing sugar, then add each egg yolk separately, mixing them in. Add the marzipan puree. Grate and add the orange peel, mix in. Gently lift the egg white mix under..
- Now you scoop about 2 and to 4 tablespoons of the mixture into your cake tin depending on size of tin and spread evenly across the bottom of the tin. Bake in oven for a few minutes until slightly browned, remove from oven, slightly cool layer, spread another 2 tablespoons of mixture over repeat process until you used up all mixture. Depending on size of tin this makes about 10 to 12 layers..
- Cool the cake, lift out of tin. Cut the cake lengthways in half. Spread with jam. (optional) top with other half of cake..
- Melt chocolate gently with a spoonful palm fat or readymade chocolate cake covering. You can now either cover the whole cake (but you will need twice amount of chocolate) or you can pour the melted chocolate over the top of equally cut separate traditional triangles. Really hope you enjoy this cake..
- Serve with either clotted or whisked cream and or a little of the apricot jam if you not used it in the cake if you like. Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea..