Blue Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. This blue velvet cake has an angel food base with fresh blueberries baked into the cake, and is coated in a delicious and creamy cream cheese frosting. Now frost the sides and top of the cake so that the entire cake surface is frosted and no cake surface is visible through the frosting. Chocolate Blackout Cake with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting.
Once cool, frost with Cream Cheese Frosting. Store cake in an airtight container in refrigerator. For the Cream Cheese Frosting: Mix cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl. You can have Blue Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting using 14 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Blue Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- It’s of ~For the Cake.
- Prepare 1 box of white cake mix (do not use box directions).
- It’s 1 1/4 cups of buttermilk.
- You need 1/3 cup of vegetable oil.
- You need 3 of eggs – room temp.
- Prepare 2 tbs of unsweetened baking cocoa.
- You need 2 tsp of royal blue GEL food coloring.
- Prepare 1 drop of violet GEL food coloring.
- Prepare of ~For the Frosting.
- Prepare 8 oz of cream cheese – softened.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of unsalted butter – softened.
- You need 3 cups of powdered sugar.
- It’s 2 tsp of pure vanilla extract.
- It’s 1 of tiny pinch salt.
The cream cheese frosting plays off of that and adds sweetness. It compliments all the flavors in the cake in the most delicious way! There are lots of ways to adorn a red velvet cake, but my favorite by far is cream cheese icing. The way the cake and frosting flavors combine is just heavenly.
Blue Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour the bottom only of a 9×13"cake pan or grease and flour the bottom and sides of 2, 8" round cake pans..
- Place all ingredients for the cake, EXCEPT the food coloring, in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on low speed until just combined..
- Add food coloring (it is important to use gel type). Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape down sides. Pour into prepared baking pan(s). Gently tap pan(s) on counter a couple times to knock out air bubbles..
- Place in oven. Bake 29-34 minutes for 9×13"pan or minutes for 8" round pans (toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean)..
- Remove from oven. For 9×13 let cool completely in pan. For round pans let cool 15 minutes, then run a knife around the edges to release from pan, and turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely..
- To make the frosting:.
- Place butter, cream cheese and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium speed until combined and beginning to "fluff". About 2 minutes..
- Turn off mixer, scrape down sides. Beat in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, fully combining and scraping down sides after each addition. Add a small pinch of salt with the final cup of sugar. If frosting seems too thick to spread you can beat in a little milk 1 tsp at a time..
- To frost 9×13"cake: Spread entire batch evenly over cake. To frost 8" round cake: Place one cake on serving platter. Spread 1/3 of batch on top only. Place second cake directly on top of first. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides to coat as evenly as possible..
- See notes below ⤵.
- If you are using dark or nonstick cake pans bake at 325°F until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (usually about 5 more minutes than regular time)..
Take cream cheese frosting beyond the red velvet and carrot cake by adding it to these cookies, cakes and bars to take your dessert to the next level. You already know that carrot cake and red velvet cake pretty much demand a rich, delicious cream cheese frosting. Adventures in Cooking: Blue Velvet Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting. Frost side and top of cake with remaining frosting. This cream cheese frosting recipe is also stiff enough to pipe a beautiful border around the top of the cake, which is exactly what I did for this cake!