French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup. Enjoy my signature French onion soup the way my granddaughter Becky does. I make onion soup for her in a crock bowl, complete with garlic croutons and gobs of melted Swiss cheese on You can use regular yellow onions in the soup recipe. The first step to making traditional French onion soup is to transform that big pile of raw onions into the decadent, sweet, and irresistibly caramelized onions that will form the rich base of this recipe.
French Onion Soup is probably one of the most epic soups in this whole wide world. French onion soup recipe watch how to make IT. Rich, flavorful beef broth, sweet caramelized onions and a great melting cheese that hardens around the bowl into seductively crispy bits are a must f. You can cook French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup
- You need 6 of large and sweet onions.
- Prepare 30 ml (1 oz) of extra virgin olive oil (2 tablespoons).
- Prepare 60 g (2 oz) of butter.
- You need 1 clove of garlic.
- You need 2 (70 oz.) of Liters of meat broth.
- It’s 12 slices of baguette bread.
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of wheat flour.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- You need of Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste).
- You need 30 ml (1 oz) of brandy or cognac.
- You need 120 g (4 oz) of soft grated cheese (Gruyère type).
Food and Wine presents a new network of food pros delivering the most cookable recipes and delicious ideas online. This traditional French Onion Soup recipe has warm baguettes topped with hot, melted Gruyere cheese. High quality beef broth, a splash of wine, and And there are so many different ways there are to make a traditional, homemade french onion soup recipe. I have tried them all, I've researched a.
French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup step by step
- In this Onion French Soup we must use sweet onions, we will find them in any market. If another type of onion is used but the flavor will no longer be equally soft and sweet.
- Peel the sweet onions and cut them into julienne (lengthwise and thinly sliced). we put them in a bowl..
- We choose a large casserole, heat the oil in the bottom of the casserole. We add butter, which is the true basis of this French soup..
- When it has melted and mixed with the olive oil, add the onions and finely chopped garlic.
- If we have not used sweet onions, add a spoonful of sugar. Sprinkle the flour in the pan and stir gently to mix well. The effect of the flour with the onion and especially the butter is called Roux, it will help us to bind and thicken the soup..
- Add the brandy and let 2 minutes evaporate to the alcohol..
- We introduce the broth that could be meat, vegetables or chicken. Bring all these ingredients to a boil for 15-20 minutes over a very low heat. Cut the bread into thin slices and toast them lightl.
- Onion French Soup, is a liquid soup but it can be transformed into creamy. It adds a little starch that gives a texture between soup and cream. A recipe worthy of both a first course and a main one in a simple and special dinner for cold nights.
So, I'm kind of guessing that's the real story. Gruyere Cheese is the traditional cheese used in classic French Onion Soup – for good reason. Did you really think basic soup was going to cut it for us? Classic French Onion Soup has loads of sweet caramelized onions simmered in a rich beefy broth and it's all topped with a crostini & loads of bubbly cheese! Simmer: Allowing time to simmer adds great flavor to this soup recipe!