Christmas Cake. Christmas cake is a type of cake, often fruitcake, served at Christmas time in many countries. Christmas cake is an English tradition that began as plum porridge. A traditional English Christmas Cake is made with rich, moist currants, sultanas (golden raisins).
Christmas cake recipes from all your favourite BBC Chefs Mary Berry, Delia Smith, Frances Quinn, The Hairy Bikers and many more. If you're making and decorating a Christmas cake for the first time. Try our traditional boozy fruit cakes along with alternative ideas to serve over the festive season – impressive white snowball cake, boozy rum and raisin bundt cake. You can cook Christmas Cake using 17 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Christmas Cake
- Prepare 8 oz of butter.
- It’s 8 oz of dark soft brown sugar.
- You need 4 of eggs.
- You need 8 oz of plain flour, sifted.
- You need 1 teaspoon of allspice.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg.
- You need 2 tablespoons of black treacle.
- You need 1 tablespoon of lemon or orange juice.
- It’s 8 oz of seedless raisins.
- You need 12 oz of currants.
- Prepare 8 oz of sultanas.
- Prepare 4 oz of cut mixed peel.
- It’s 3 oz of glace cherries, quartered, washed and dried.
- It’s of grated rind of 1 lemon.
- You need of grated rind of 1 small orange.
- You need 6-8 tablespoons of brandy (divided).
From traditional Christmas cakes with gorgeous decorations to quick fondant figures, these easy Christmas cake decorating ideas and designs are loads of fun. We've put together our best Christmas cake recipes of all time. We've made lots of Christmas cake recipes over the years. From chocolate and cherry to gin and tea – here are our favourites.
Christmas Cake instructions
- In a large bowl, combine the raisins, currants, sultanas, mixed peel, glace cherries and grated lemon and orange rind. Add 3-4 tablespoons brandy, stir well and leave to soak..
- Preheat the oven to 300 F..
- Grease and line an 8 inch round or 7 inch square deep cake tin with greased greaseproof paper..
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, folding in a tablespoon of flour after each addition..
- Sift the remaining flour with spices and fold into the creamed mixture, using a large metal spoon. Then stir in the treacle and fruit juice..
- Add the brandy-soaked fruit mix to the cake mixture and stir until evenly blended, then turn into the prepared tin. Smooth the surface, make a small hollow in the center and tie a treble thickness of brown paper around the outside of the tin..
- Bake in the preheated cool oven for about 3.25-3.50 hours or until a warmed fine skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean..
- Leave the cake in the tin overnight to cool completely. Prick the surface all over with a fine skewer, then pour over the remaining 3-4 tablespoons brandy and allow to soak in. Remove the cake from the tin, wrap securely in foil and store in a cool dry place..
Thus, "Christmas Cake" is used as a metaphor term for a woman rendered unmarriageable because she is past the freshness of her youth; roughly equivalent to "Old Maid." Forget presents — we want these tasty Christmas cakes! From peppermint to gingerbread, these are the best Christmas cake recipes that encompass the best flavors of the holiday season. Rich cheesecakes, old-fashioned fruitcakes, gingerbread, and red velvet cake. Bake up our beautiful Christmas cakes to celebrate the holiday season. This Christmas cake decorating playlist includes all my Christmas ideas and video tutorials, old and new.