Greek Walnut Cake (Karydopita). My recipe of the day is for a Greek Walnut Cake (also called Karidopita) which I am posting along with other blogging friends for #LetsGoNuts in which we are sharing a few of our favorite recipes. Let the karidopita (greek walnut cake) to cool and then prepare the syrup. Add all the ingredients for the syrup into a pot, and boil, until the sugar has dissolved.
Karidopita or Karithdopita is a seriously indulgent Greek walnut cake recipe made with cognac, a hint of spice and breadcrumbs which. When cake comes out and cools you can either sift powdered sugar on top to give a lighter sweetness to it, or make and pour the syrup on top. Walnut Cake – Karydopita is "la Grande Dame" of Greek desserts! You can have Greek Walnut Cake (Karydopita) using 11 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Greek Walnut Cake (Karydopita)
- It’s 1/2 cup of Butter.
- Prepare 2 cups of Sugar.
- It’s 8 of Eggs.
- It’s 4 cups of Walnuts.
- It’s 3 cups of All Purpose Flour.
- You need 2 teaspoons of Baking Powder.
- You need 2 teaspoons of Cinnamon.
- You need of Syrup :.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of Sugar.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of Cognac.
- It’s 2 cups of Water.
It is a moist and flavorful Walnut cake made primarily with walnuts and cinnamon The aromas that fill the house when you bake it, is what makes Karydopita an absolute must for the Christmas table! It's also a great cake to prepare. Karydopita (Greek: Καρυδόπιτα) is a Greek dessert cake made primarily from walnuts and covered in a sweet syrup. Its name is a compound word which derives from "karýdia" (Greek for walnuts).
Greek Walnut Cake (Karydopita) instructions
- In a large bowl add in the sugar, butter, and egg yolks and beat until well combined. In a smaller bowl whisk the egg whites into a smooth meringue. Add half of the meringue into the mix and continue beating, slowly pour the rest of the meringue and whisk until it has become one smooth mixture. Toss in the walnuts, the flour, baking powder, and the rest of the ingredients, and beat until it has become one big mass..
- Tip: Add the baking powder into the flour and mix together before adding into the egg mix. I also add a bit of Cognac in the mixture before baking because it gives the cake a bit more of a taste of Cognac. 🙂.
- Take a buttered pan and add your cake mix and place in the oven at 190 degrees for 1/2 hour. In the meantime, in a small sauce pan add in the water, sugar and cognac, stir and let boil on very low heat..
- Once the cake has been baked, add the syrup and let it sit until the cake as absorbed the syrup. Let it cool for at least 1 hour before serving. You can add whip cream, or ice cream on the side for a twist. 🙂 Kali Orexi! 🙂.
What's A Greek Walnut Sponge Cake? In Greece, we call it Karydopita and it's pronounced more like Kari-th-o-pita. A traditional syrup cake full of walnuts and spices. We were tempted to change this recipe, in order to reflect what we know to be the correct way to bake. Greek walnut cake by the Greek chef Akis Petretzikis.