Sunday Gravy. Read Customer Reviews & Find Best Sellers. This Sunday morning "gravy" recipe is essentially a traditional Italian red sauce made from scratch with meat balls for the whole family. Say the words Sunday Gravy and just about everyone has an opinion!
Here in America, Sunday Gravy is most commonly associated with a tomato-based sauce that is cooked with a variety of meats. Heat oil in very large Dutch oven. Add garlic and onions and saute until soft. You can have Sunday Gravy using 31 ingredients and 18 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Sunday Gravy
- Prepare of Meatballs.
- You need 1 lb of ground beef.
- It’s 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of milk.
- You need 1 of egg.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 tsp of black pepper.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of italian seasoning.
- You need 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper.
- Prepare 1 of Tbps parsley, chopped.
- It’s of Meat.
- You need 2 lbs of short ribs.
- It’s 2 lbs of pork ribs, split.
- Prepare 1 lb of sweet Italian sausage.
- You need of Sauce.
- It’s 3 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 2 of onions, diced.
- It’s 1 tsp of crushed red pepper.
- It’s 1 head of garlic, minced.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of oregano.
- It’s 1 tsp of rosemary.
- You need 1 Tbsp of thyme.
- You need 1 tsp of funnel, crushed.
- It’s 1 tsp of black pepper.
- It’s 4 Tbsp of tomato paste.
- You need 1 cup of dry red wine.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar.
- You need 1 Tbsp of fish sauce.
- You need 2 (28 oz) of cans whole tomatoes.
- It’s 1 of Bou beef bouillon cube.
- Prepare 1/4 of parsley, chopped.
Add tomato paste and stir to combine. Marinara is a simple red sauce, often just garlic, herbs, and tomatoes, with no onions. A really high quality (preferably homemade) marinara can be used in a pinch as the tomato base for this Italian Sunday Gravy. What Ingredient Do You Need For Sunday Gravy.
Sunday Gravy step by step
- Combine the milk and breadcrumbs in a medium bowl. When they've absorbed all the liquid, stir in the egg, followed by the Italian seasoning, parsley, salt, black and red pepper. Stir and then crumble in the ground beef. Mix until well distributed and form into meat balls..
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven (at least 6 qts) over medium heat. Brown the meat balls, being careful turning them not to crush them.
- Remove the meatballs and set aside. It's ok if they're not done..
- Salt the short ribs and brown in the dutch oven..
- Remove the short ribs to a separate large bowl..
- Salt and brown the pork ribs in the Dutch oven and then add them to the short ribs bowl..
- Brown the sausages in the fat and then add them to the bowl with the ribs..
- Pour the fat out into a glass bowl and then add 2 Tbsp back to the dutch oven. Lower the heat to medium low and add the onions and red pepper and cook until soft..
- Add the garlic, herbs, fennel, black pepper and saute 2 min..
- Add the tomato paste and saute until incorporated..
- Add the wine, balsamic, beef bouillon, and fish sauce and bring to a simmer..
- Puree one of the cans of tomatoes. Using a stick blender is easy, but a regular blender is fine..
- Hand crush the other can of tomatoes in a bowl..
- Add both tomatoes to the pot and bring to a simmer. Salt to taste..
- Add the ribs and sausages to the sauce and reduce the heat to the lowest possible. Cover and simmer ~5 hours..
- After 5 hours, remove the sausages and pork ribs and add to the reserved meatballs. Remove the bones from the short ribs and continue cooking covered ~2 hours until the short ribs fall apart and the oil that has separated on top has re emulsified into the sauce..
- Add the meatballs, ribs, sausages back to the sauce and bring to a simmer to finish cooking the meatballs..
- Serve the gravy with high quality noodles, a scoop of ricotta, shaved parmesan, and garnish with chopped parsley..
How To Cook Sunday Gravy THE SUNDAY GRAVY. Be the first to rate and review this recipe. I'm glad I paid attention when. Sunday Gravy, a comforting and meaty pasta sauce for Sunday supper. Beef short ribs cooked low and slow in tomato sauce until fork tender and then tossed with pasta and topped with grated cheese.