Mom's Holiday Brisket.
You can cook Mom's Holiday Brisket using 14 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Mom's Holiday Brisket
- You need 5 lb of Whole or first cut or top cut brisket (could be 4-5 lbs).
- You need 2 large of or 4 smaller onions, sliced thinly.
- You need 8 of Carrots, sliced on diagonal, or even more if you wish.
- It’s 1/2 of Bottle of red wine if whole cut. Add whole bottle if dryer top cut..
- Prepare 1 of Pepper sprinkled on both sides..
- Prepare 1 of Garlic powder sprinkled on both sides.
- It’s 1 of Dried thyme sprinkled on both sides.
- You need 1 of Onion powder sprinkled on both sides.
- Prepare 8 of Allspice berries.
- You need 3 of Bay leaves.
- You need 1/2 envelope of Onion soup mix.
- It’s 8 of Mushrooms, washed and quartered.
- Prepare 8 oz of Can tomato paste.
- Prepare 1 of Very small amount of olive oil.
Mom's Holiday Brisket step by step
- If you have a whole cut, ask butcher to trim some fat off. If not, trim it yourself. Leave a thin layer for flavor. Wash and dry brisket. Sprinkle pepper, garlic, onion powder and thyme over both sides of brisket. Put small amount of olive oil in bottom of roaster. If necessary, slice brisket in half to fit. Note: after its done, brisket will have shrunk about 1/5-1/4, so judge whether you need to cut it. Turn burners on stove onto medium, and place roaster on burners. Brown brisket on both sides. If your roaster isn't flame-proof, brown it in something that is..
- Place sliced onions on bottom of roaster, and place brisket on top of it. Sprinkle carrots and mushrooms (if using) under, and around brisket. Sprinkle onion soup mix over meat. Pour red wine over all. Spoon tomato paste around brisket, and mix with wine as best you can. Add remaining ingredients around meat. Take sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil, and seal tightly all around. Place in 350°F oven for 90 minutes, and take out, open and flip. Check liquid level. If it seems to be drying out, or at some time in oven smells like it is (burning smell), add more Warner or beef broth..
- After first 90 minutes, flip and bake for another 90 minutes. Take out of oven after 3 hours, and cool for 10 minutes or so. Take out of pan and place on cutting board with runnels to catch the liquid. Brisket now needs to be sliced across the grain. If you have doubts as to where this is, ask butcher when you first purchase it. Slice meat thinly, and place each on plate. When done. Slide. Slicers into liquid and recover with foil tightly. Bake for 1 hour more..
- It is best to make this the day before, and refrigerate overnight. You can lift off any fat very easily. I always slice, then refrigerate overnight, and finish the the last hour of cooking tome on the day I want to serve it. Delicious, even when it falls apart. I even freeze any leftover gravy to use later. Serves approximately 10-12, especially if you have a 5lb.brisket. Takes 4 hours in total.