Homemade Corned Beef. Corned beef is essentially beef cured in a salt brine, with some pickling spices for added flavor. You know how BBQ masters have their own favorite homemade dry rubs? Homemade corned beef is remarkably easy to make, with great flavor payoff for minimal effort.
Homemade corned beef is crazy easy to make. It's essentially brisket that's given a makeover by letting it linger in an easy brine with spices and then slowly braised until falling apart tender. Nowadays, I make homemade corned beef from scratch to avoid the nitrates and junk in the store-bought versions, and it's unbelievably easy. You can cook Homemade Corned Beef using 8 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Homemade Corned Beef
- It’s 3 pounds of brisket or chuck roast or rump roast.
- You need of ——————-.
- You need of Brine :.
- You need 1 gallon of spring water.
- Prepare 1 cup of kosher salt.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of brown sugar.
- It’s 1/4 cup of pickling spice.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of pink curing salt.
FULL RECIPE BELOW With a little advanced planning and a couple of ingredients, this famous Irish fare can be easily made at home. Any cut of beef can be "corned." (See my pastrami short ribs.) But the best cuts are the tougher The recipe for corned beef and cabbage, the dish featured above, is here. Now that it's March, the warmer weather has me thinking about There is no actual corn in corned beef. The name comes from Great Britain and means "small.
Homemade Corned Beef step by step
- Combine all of the brine ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil, occasionally stirring to incorporate the salt and sugar. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature..
- Place the meat in plastic container and add the brine making sure that the meat is completly submerged. Use an injector to inject the meat with the brine to achieve a even and complete cure. Place in the refrigerator and allow to cure for 5 to 7 days. Check at least once a day to turn and make sure the meat is still completly submerged..
- Place the corned beef in a pressure cooker on top of a small rack to keep the meat from touching the bottom. Add 2 cups of the brine and cook on high for 50 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release..
- Allow the meat to cool in it's liquid so some of the juice is reabsorbed..
- Use your corned beef as you will. I like using it in red flannel hash or a grilled rueben sandwich..
Homemade Corned Beef Recipe photo by Taste of Home. To make ahead: Refrigerate meat in cooking liquid for several days; reheat in liquid. Corned beef, whether served with cabbage or potatoes, is a traditional way of cooking a large cut of beef. The time to prepare corned beef takes several days, so plan ahead. If making corned beef and cabbage, reserve the cooking liquid.