broccoli rabe & sausage. Also known as rapini, broccoli rabe is not just the scraggly outcroppings of a broccoli plant or baby broccoli, like you might think. In fact, the leafy, cruciferous vegetable is closely related to the turnip. Broccoli rabe, known in Italian as rapini, is a green vegetable that looks like leafy broccoli but is Like many greens, broccoli rabe is a nutritional powerhouse.
Broccoli rabe greens add a spicy yet zesty note to the recipes. Spicy, zesty broccoli rabe is one of the favorite Mediterranean greens commonly featuring in Italian and French cuisine. Blanch broccoli rabe to remove bitterness. You can cook broccoli rabe & sausage using 7 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of broccoli rabe & sausage
- You need 1/3 cup of olive oil.
- It’s 2 tbsp of sea salt.
- It’s 1 1/2 lb of broccoli rabe, trimmed.
- It’s 1/2 lb of sweet italian sausage, casing discarded & coarsely chopped.
- You need 4 large of garlic cloves, minced.
- Prepare 1 pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of grated parmigiano-reggiano.
The first time I cooked broccoli rabe it must have been really late in the season, because those greens were so bitter none of us (hardened bitter greens. Broccoli rabe isn't actually related to broccoli. Instead, it's closely related to the turnip. Broccoli rabe is sold fresh in grocery stores and farmers markets, and is at its peak in the cold months of winter.
broccoli rabe & sausage step by step
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the 2 tbsp of salt. Add the broccoli rabe and cook, testing often. until stems are just tender, 2 – 3 minutes. Using tongs lift out the broccoli rabe into a sieve and cool under cold water. Drain and squeeze gently to remove moisture. chop coarsely and set aside..
- Bring broccoli rabe water back to a boil then add pasta and cook according to instructions..
- Meanwhile, in frying pan heat remaining oil over medium-low heat. Add sausage, garlic, &red pepper flakes and cook, stirring and breaking up sausage with a wooden spoon, until the sausage is browned, about 7 minutes. Add broccoli rabe and stir to combine. Cook until broccoli rabe is hot through, about minutes. Season with salt..
- When pasta is ready, scoop out some of the water and reserve. Drain pasta and return to pot. Add sausage mixture and cheese and stir over low heat to combine. Add pasta water as needed to adjust consistency..
- Divide pasta into bowls, sprinkle with more cheese if desired then serve..
Broccoli rabe (pronounced "rahb") seems like it should be a type of broccoli. Broccoli rabe, also known as rapini (in Italian) is a member of the cabbage family. If you have made this Broccoli Rabe recipe, I would love to hear about it in the. Broccoli rabe is a rich source of vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A, and glucosinolates, as well as iron, folate, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and zinc. Nutrition facts label for Broccoli raab, cooked [Broccoli rabe, Rapini].