Dirty Brown Rice with Shrimp. Dirty rice is a classic Cajun dish made "dirty" by cooking the rice with minced livers or gizzards. By cooking the brown rice separate, the texture of the rice was perfect when mixed with the beef and shrimp and made a delicious main dish even my "non-brown rice eating" husband enjoyed. When the rice is done, toss with beef and shrimp and combine well.
Try this Dirty Rice with Shrimp recipe, or contribute your own. Saute onions in shortening, add shrimp and cook until brown. Add garlic, green onions, parsley, salt, red pepper and water.. You can have Dirty Brown Rice with Shrimp using 15 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Dirty Brown Rice with Shrimp
- You need 1 1/2 cups of uncooked brown rice (I used instant).
- It’s 2 1/2 cups of Chicken broth.
- It’s 2 of Bay leaves, divided.
- You need 1/8 of + 1/4 tsp Cayenne, divided.
- It’s 1/8 of + 1/2 tsp Paprika, divided.
- Prepare 1/8 of + 1/2 tsp Thyme, divided.
- It’s 1 tsp of olive oil.
- You need 1 of onion, diced.
- Prepare 2 of celery, diced.
- Prepare 1 of Green pepper, diced.
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1/2 lb of 97% lean ground beef.
- You need 1 lb of medium shrimp, peeled & deveined.
- It’s 2 of scallions (optional).
- It’s to taste of Salt and pepper.
Dirty Brown Rice With Shrimp, Spicy Shrimp Fried Rice, Shrimp And Broccoli Curry With Quinoa And Brown Rice. I normally use long grain white rice for my fried rice, but this time. This Cajun Dirty Rice has been a staple in our house for over a decade, and I am finally sharing it with you because it's a delicious and easy one pan meal! That's one tall order but Cajun Dirty Rice is exactly that!
Dirty Brown Rice with Shrimp step by step
- Cook brown rice according to package directions, substituting chicken broth for the water. Add 1 bay leaf, and the 1/8 tsp of Cayenne, Paprika, and Thyme. Stir and cook..
- When rice is almost done cooking, heat a large heavy sauce pan on medium heat. Add oil, onions, green pepper, celery, and bay leaf. Sauté on medium heat until soft, adding the garlic about a minute before done..
- Add beef, salt, pepper, and remaining Thyme, Paprika, and Cayenne. Sauté until browned..
- Add shrimp and cover. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until shrimp is done..
- When rice is done, toss with beef and shrimp mixture and combine well..
- Top with scallions (optional).
My kids dance for joy when I say it's for dinner. And, unsurprisingly, so does my husband? brown rice. shrimp. chicken bouillon cubes. Where's the full recipe – why can I only see the ingredients? A healthier twist on a Cajun classic, the addition of shrimp turns this into a fabulous main dish. I'd like to think of this as a Cajun shrimp fried rice.