Italian anise cookies. These classic Italian anise cookies are tender, easy, and covered in a glaze with sprinkles. Enjoy these cookies as part of a holiday cookie tray or year-round! Whether you choose to make these cookies with anise or without, they always seem to be a crowd-pleaser.
There are many different recipe variations passed down from generations to generations. Each family seems to have their own unique twist. These delicate cake-like cookies are glazed with icing and topped with colorful candy sprinkles. You can have Italian anise cookies using 9 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Italian anise cookies
- You need 3 of eggs.
- You need 2 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour.
- You need 2 tsp of plus 1/8 tsp. anise extract.
- You need 1 tbsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of sugar.
- It’s 1/2 cup of butter, softened.
- Prepare 5 tbsp of milk.
- Prepare 2 cup of powdered sugar.
- It’s 1 of sprinkles.
They have a mild anise flavoring, which is very typical of Italian baked goods. These cookies NEED to be on your holiday cookie tray! Old recipe for Italian Anisette Cookies, or "S" cookies, just like my husband's grandma used to make. These are hard core Italian, people.
Italian anise cookies instructions
- Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time. Add 2 teaspoons anise extract..
- Blend flour and baking powder in a bowl. Start by adding a third of dry ingredients to butter and sugar, then add 1 tablespoon of milk. Add another third of flour mixture and 1 tablespoon of milk. Finally mix in the rest of flour until dough is like a brownie batter (should be softer than a drop cookie dough) ..
- Use a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop to make round drop cookies. Bake 10 to 12 minutes..
- For icing, mix powdered sugar, milk and 1/8 tsp anise extract to make a glaze. I make it thick and microwave for 10 seconds. Dip top of cookies in glaze, turn over and immediately top with sprinkles so they stick. Let harden for a few hours or overnight..
This cookie gets it's flavoring from the anise extract. In this post you will find Italian cookies with anise. This are the new updated levels of CodyCross game which is created by Fanatee. Put a spin on traditional butter cookies with this Italian favorite that's made with anise extract in the batter as well as in the powdered sugar-based glaze, and topped with crunchy nonpareils. Italian anise cookies have played center stage at many weddings, showers, communions, graduations and of course all the major holidays.