Five Spice Pan Fried Pork Belly.
You can have Five Spice Pan Fried Pork Belly using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Five Spice Pan Fried Pork Belly
- You need 3 of short slabs of pork belly.
- You need 9 Tbsp of Soy sauce for marinade.
- Prepare 3 of Calamansi for marinade.
- It’s 1 tsp of Salt & Pepper for marinade.
- Prepare 3 Tbsp of Cooking oil.
- It’s 1/2 of lemon.
- It’s 1/2-1 Tbsp of Chinese Five Spice Powder.
- You need To taste of salt & pepper.
Five Spice Pan Fried Pork Belly instructions
- Prep: a few hours or overnight before cooking. Marinate pork belly slabs in soy sauce (enough to change meat color once absorbed) and calamansi (squeeze 1 per slab). Set aside in chiller..
- Take out chilled marinade of pork. Cut a few slits on the fat side to help it remain flat on pan when frying. Heat a non-stick pan with cooking oil. Don't put a lot, only 2-3 tbsp, as it's own oil will come out. I used a pan big enough to fit all three..
- Once hot enough (not too much that it will spit oil), place all 3 pork belly in pan and cover in low-medium heat. Let it defrost in pan, let water come out. Cover 7-10 minutes. You'll see pork thawed, cooking in its juices and fat still not rendered. This will help tenderize the pork. Flip it on the other side, and simmer in juices for another 6-7 minutes, covered.
- (Side 1) uncover, squeeze lemon on each and sprinkle a pinch of rock salt on each pork and fat area. Sprinkle a generous amount of five spice powder and ground black pepper. Get a back of the spoon and use to pat and spread salt & spices on belly. Cover 1 minute. Turn bellies on other side (side 2). Increase heat to medium. Add the same to this belly sides- remaining lemon juice, pepper, salt, five spice and spread with back of spoon, then cover. Do not flip yet. Let fat render on side 1..
- Let fat render on side 1 in pan in medium heat. You will hear popping sounds. Peek after a few minutes, you'll smell the spices. See if side 1 on pan has darkened in color before flipping on side 2..
- Reduce heat, careful of oil spitting when flipping pork belly to other side. Once flipped on side 2, increase heat to medium and cover. Listen for popping sounds, this means the fat is rendering. After a few minutes, peek carefully, if darkened in color, remove from heat and let oil drop on a rack before serving. Serve with rice, veggies or potatoes. Enjoy..