Cabbage & Sausage. Compare Prices on Cabbage Seed in Patio & Garden. Overview Information Cabbage is a plant that is commonly eaten as a vegetable. It is a relative of broccoli, Brussels sprout, cauliflower, and kale.
The humble cabbage stars in these stellar recipes. Cost effective and easily available year-round, cabbages are a healthy green that deserves more attention for being delicious and nutritious (boasting high levels of vitamins C and K). Cabbage cooked in bacon drippings and seasoned with garlic, red pepper flakes and caraway seeds makes a cozy nest for smoked Polish-style sausage in this homey, hearty, and satisfying supper. You can cook Cabbage & Sausage using 13 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Cabbage & Sausage
- You need 1 head of cabbage.
- Prepare 1 of onion.
- You need 1 of red bell pepper.
- Prepare 1 tbs of minced garlic.
- It’s 1 lb of sausage.
- Prepare 1 package of bacon.
- It’s 1 can of mild rotel.
- It’s 4 of chicken bullion cubes.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of water.
- It’s of To taste Optional Seasoning.
- You need 1 tsp of Tony's Spice and Herbs.
- Prepare 1 tbs of Goya – Sazonador Total.
- You need of Himalayan Salt.
Pour the remaining sweet and sour tomato sauce over the cabbage rolls. The humble cabbage may not seem like a superfood in the classic sense. But this everyday vegetable is packed with vitamins C and K and folate, and boasts few calories and heaps of fiber. Cabbage is a heavy feeder; it quickly depetes the soil of required nutrients.
Cabbage & Sausage instructions
- Chop bacon in about 1½ inch pieces. I cut straight through the package which makes it easier to handle. Cook bacon in Texas Skillet. (Or large pot) Remove bacon and set aside. Drain off bacon Grease from the skillet and save, leaving a little in the skillet..
- Chop sausage and add to skillet. Brown completely using med-high heat..
- Dice onion and bell pepper. On medium heat – When sausage is done add onion and bell pepper to the skillet, add a little additional bacon Grease if necessary. Toss in garlic at the end once onions and peppers are done, careful not to burn garlic..
- Add rotel, bullion cubes, water and Seasonings to the skillet. Crumble bacon and add to skillet. DO NOT ADD SALT YET. Wash and Chop cabbage into 1 inch pieces. Add to the skillet. I sometimes add a little more bacon Grease optional. You may need to let it wilt a bit before adding remaining cabbage. Mix to coat cabbage with the liquid in the skillet. Add salt to the cabbage if necessary to help draw out the moisture. Careful not to over salt. The other seasonings and bullion are already salty..
- Once all of your cabbage is in the skillet lower heat to low or med-low cover and simmer until your cabbage is of desired tenderness. I like mine wilted but still a little firm – about 20 Mins..
Prepare the soil in advance by mixing in aged manure and/or compost. Soil should be well-draining: roots that stand in water cause heads to split or rot. Apply for a PPP loan through us Need a small business loan to get the working capital you need? I layer cabbage with tomato sauce and ground beef lasagna-style to create a hearty casserole that tastes like cabbage rolls but without all the work. —Doreen Martin, Kitimat, British Columbia. It is a very good source of dietary fiber, calcium, magnesium, and potassium.