Beef Olives. Beef olives have been around in Britain for centuries, but not these particular ones obviously. Categorically nothing to do with olives, the name remains something of a mystery; possibly. Olives are a Mediterranean symbol of blessings and peace, which may be why this dish is shaped to look In this traditional Maltese dish, stuffed beef slices are tied into the shape of oversize olives—a.
Our own grass-fed, fully matured British beef. Click to add Beef Olives to your Favourites. These slow cooked, rolled beef steaks are stuffed with mushroom and bacon and become meltingly soft as they braise themselves in the oven. You can cook Beef Olives using 10 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Beef Olives
- You need 4 of Rump steaks (around 800g) 1cm thick.
- Prepare 200 grams of Bacon, finely chopped.
- It’s 1 large of brown onion, finely chopped.
- It’s 200 grams of Mushrooms, finely chopped.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Fresh thyme leaves.
- You need 20 grams of Butter.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of Bread crumb.
- You need 1 tbsp of Olive oil.
- You need 1 cup of Beef stock.
- You need 2 tsp of Plain flour.
Maltese Bragioli also known as beef olives, are slowly braised stuffed bundles of beef. The term olive is a bit confusing as there are no olives in this recipe. It turns out they got their name because they. Beef olives are little beef parcels of meaty goodness cooked in gravy.
Beef Olives step by step
- Cook bacon in a large non stick frypan on medium heat until fat melts..
- Add onions, garlic, mushrooms and thyme. Cook, stirring, until onion has softened but is not coloured..
- Add the butter and stir until melted..
- Now add the breadcrumb- mix well, season to taste and remove from pan. Wipe out pan with paper towel..
- Trim excess fat from steaks, bash to 5mm and slice in half crossways (not lengthways)..
- Place 1/8 of the stuffing mix along the edge of the cut steak. Roll up and secure with toothpicks..
- Heat the pan, add oil and beef olives. Brown all over on medium heat..
- Wipe out any excess fat/oil before adding stock to beef olives. Reduce heat and simmer until cook as desired..
- Remove beef from pan- cover to keep warm..
- In a small bowl, stir flour with a little water into a paste. Add a big spoonful of stock and mix well. Now stir paste into stock in pan- bring to boil and then simmer until thickened slightly..
- Serve beef on mash and some wilted English spinach leaves (if desired). Pour in some sauce, season and eat!.
You'll need some kitchen string to secure the mushroom stuffing. Photographs of Scottish Beef Olives and recipes for this oatmeal stuffed dinner treat made with thin Scotch beef and how to cook them. Remove the beef olives from the dish and keep warm. Blend the remaining sauce until no lumps remain. Open lasagne of mushrooms & olives.