Rye Bread with Caraway. Rye Sandwich Bread/Photo by Donna Turner Ruhlman. Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a standing mixer (or any bowl if you're mixing by hand). Rye breads would be too heavy if made entirely of rye flour, so the addition of whole-wheat flour lightens the loaf.
My parents were immigrants from Czechoslovakia and my mother would pull out this rye bread recipe when guests came over for dinner. Add brown sugar, caraway, oil, salt and remaining water; mix well. This seeded light, soft rye bread is delicious in sandwiches. You can cook Rye Bread with Caraway using 7 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Rye Bread with Caraway
- Prepare 150 grams of rye flour.
- It’s 150 grams of white bread flour.
- It’s 1 tsp of active dry yeast.
- Prepare 1 tsp of sugar.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1 cup of warm water.
- You need 1 or 2 tsp of caraway seeds.
The nature of rye dough is to be sticky, so don't be tempted to add too much flour. A nice-flavored light rye loaf with lots of caraway seeds. Sweetened with both brown sugar and molasses. Put lukewarm water, milk powder, salt, brown sugar, molasses, butter, whole wheat flour, bread flour, rye flour, caraway seeds, and yeast into the pan of.
Rye Bread with Caraway step by step
- Mix flours, yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Mix in caraway seeds..
- Add warm water and using a spatula, bring the dough together into rough ball. Add a bit more water if it seems dry and crumbly..
- Remove from bowl and knead a few minutes on a floured surface..
- When the dough is fairly smooth and soft, return to bowl and cover loosely with wrap. Let rise for about 60-90 minutes in a warm spot..
- After the dough has risen, gently knead out the air and roll out into a thick oval shape about 12 inches (30 cm). Next fold over the two long edges so they meet in the center and pinch together..
- Turn the pinched side upside-down and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cut a few streaks into the dough so it'll look extra nice when coming out of the oven :).
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap again and let rise an additional 30 minutes. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 250°C/480°F..
- When ready to bake, turn oven down to 220°C/430°F and put in the bread. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn down the oven to 200°C/400°F and bake for 10 minutes more..
- Remove from oven and let cool on a rack. Bon apetit!.
Making a real sourdough bread is a whole new adventure for many cooks. This recipe is fun to make, and even though it appears complicated, it really isn't. Enjoy the rich dark taste of rye bread with this recipe for a traditional German loaf. Time does not include resting / rising. Add the remaining flour, remaining tepid water, salt, malt extract, butter and caraway seeds and mix together making a pliable dough.