Oyster Stew. Read Customer Reviews & Find Best Sellers. Pour half-and-half into a large pot over medium-high heat. Mix in the butter, celery, and shallot mixture.
When ready to serve, ladle hot stew into bowls, and sprinkle each evenly with. Oyster stew is a New Years Eve tradition in my family, served with warm sourdough bread or rolls. I make it much the same way, but add diced White Rose potatoes to celery and onion sauteed in butter – no flour roux here. You can have Oyster Stew using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Oyster Stew
- Prepare 4 tablespoons of butter.
- It’s 1 of small celery stalk, finely chopped.
- It’s 2 of small clove garlic, minced.
- You need 2 1/3 tablespoon of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 2 cup of milk.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of cream.
- You need 1 teaspoon of minced shallot.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of minced shallot.
- You need 1 pinch of dried parsley.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 2 cup of fresh oysters, undrained.
- Prepare 1 pinch of ground black pepper.
Add milk, cream, oysters,fresh ground pepper and a shot of hot sauce … darn now I'm hungry!. Oyster stew is a Christmas Eve tradition for many families. Saute green onions in butter in a Dutch oven until onions are tender. Add remaining ingredients to onion mixture. cook over low heat until edges of oysers begin to curl and mixture is hot, but not boiling.
Oyster Stew step by step
- Melt the butter in a heavy pot over medium-high heat; stir in the celery and cook until soft, 5 to 7 minutes..
- Add the flour and stir, scraping the bottom of pan until flour is lightly toasted, adding garlic halfway..
- Slowly add the milk and cream to the roux, stirring constantly..
- Stir the shallots, parsley, and salt into the mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low; continue cooking and stirring until the mixture bubbles and thickens, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to barely simmer..
- Add the oysters with the liquid from the container to the mixture; cook until the edges of the oysters curl, and slightly thinkened, about 5 minutes more. Be very careful or it will seperate and not thicken but still tastes great. Season with pepper just before serving..
- Serve in bowls and dust with parsley along with French Bread.
The simplicity of this creamy oyster stew will have your guests raving about the divine flavor. Fresh oysters, butter, onion, half and half and some salt and pepper are all you need for this classic stew. This recipe makes the best oyster stew I've ever had. And I love that this is so easy to make on any cold night when the craving hits me! There's nothing like the deliciously rich seafood flavor of the oysters and the creaminess of the onions and milk from this stew!